Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

supposed to have a tv encoder but...

Help
2004-12-29
2013-04-15
  • Hi,

i am using Xorg on debian unstable, got latest (r28) cvs built for fedora from:
    http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/
    TV output does't work, all i get is flickering, out-of-sync display.

According to log:

(II) VIA(0): VIATVDetect
    (WW) VIA(0): This device is supposed to have a TV encoder but we are unable to detect it (support missing?).

HW is a Shuttle SK43G XPC.

please help!

Thank you.

massi.

• Luc Verhaegen
      Luc Verhaegen
      2004-12-29

There is currently no support for the CH7011 tv encoder in the driver. We have no direct access to this type of hardware, please contact eu.shuttle.com to have this resolved.

We lack access to both the FX43 (SK43G) and the FX83 (SK83G)

Possible points of contact:
      "PR Manager": s.messier@spacewalker.de
      Support request: http://eu.shuttle.com/en/Desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-239/

• ok. i asked them to provide some tech info on the encoder.

in the meantime, being a fairly experienced programmer (with absolutely no knowlege of X driver internals) is it possible for me to develop some kind of hack on it? i mean... is it possible to use the vesa driver (working) code to set the resolution and then use unichrome code for the rest?

Probably a very stupid question, just while i download xorg sources... :-)

thank you very much

massi

• Luc Verhaegen
      Luc Verhaegen
      2004-12-30

Tech info?
      Do you mean like in http://www.chrontel.com/products/7011.htm ?

I used the word "hardware" for a reason.

• i found a little program called tvset, and modified it to address the correct device on the i2c bus (0xec for my ch7011a). Now i can control the chip by hand. Sadly it still doesn't work. I only get variations of the same split screen image. I think that via_drv, not finding a supported tvencoder un the bus, is not doing something necessary to talk with it. can i hardcode it? could someone please address me to the right place in the code?

massi.

• Hiya!

I had similar problems (that is: silly TV-output like you describe) with my VIA MII-10000 under Xorg. I tried with lots of different modelines and setups, but it never worked for me. (However, I never got an error message like you descript, AFAIR.)

After switching to XFree86, everything worked just fine....

Don't know if this will help you, but you could check up on XFree86 hw-support.

Cheers,
      ~Silverjam

• Luc Verhaegen
      Luc Verhaegen
      2005-01-04

massi:
      The ch7011 is, apart from the saa7xxx, probably the easiest to work with, as full documentation is available. As stated before, the problem is the availability of this hardware to unichrome developers.

This driver is moving constantly. Even if support is added now, by guiding you through development remotely, which is a slow and frustrating process, a future change somewhere else in the driver could break it.

People are not that inclined to use the latest unichrome drivers it seems, so it often takes ages before anyone reports a problem. And even then the person complaining might not be available, or willing, to further diagnose, let alone fix the issue. Calls for testing almost always go completely unanswered.

Silverjam, that sounds like the following issue:
      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1009195&group_id=102048&atid=630967
      Try using a slightly recent unichrome version.

• i patched r29 with the code from the ch7xxx patch section (btw, why nobody told me about it? :-)), commented out all the xf86ICWriteByte inside ch7xxx pre/post settv and set the register by hand (with a fltk tvset command). now it works... at least... the tv is okay but the image is wrong: on the right i see the left portion repeated and there is an horizonatal black band in the upper mid of the screen.

massi

• Luc Verhaegen
      Luc Verhaegen
      2005-01-08

Look, which of the following is not clear to you:
      "There is currently no support for the CH7011 tv encoder in the driver. We have no direct access to this type of hardware, please contact eu.shuttle.com to have this resolved."

I bet that this "need" of yours only came into existence after reading this in your log:
      (WW) VIA(0): This device is supposed to have a TV encoder but we are unable to detect it (support missing?).

All you are going to achieve here is me tossing out that message.

• ok ok.
      i was just adding that support myself (my fault), but i agree we both have wasted enough time on this thread. Thank you anyway for the driver.

massi.