Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Do I need this?

Help
2005-01-08
2013-04-15
  • I'll keep it short:
    I have the following system:
    -Abit VA-10 motherboard, featuring KM400/VT8235 chipset
    -NVidia GeForce 6600GT AGP card
    -Gentoo Linux with 2.4 kernel
    My question is: do I need to install the unichrome drivers to use the 3D acceleration of the AGP card? If not, what do I need?

• John Robinson
      John Robinson
      2005-01-09

No, you don't need the Unichrome drivers at all, you need the stuff for your NVidia card instead. (Well, that's my understanding anyway.)

• All right, thanks for confirming this.
        Now let's hope there is some magic combination of NVidia drivers and settings that doesn't toast my kernel up to the 'no-response-to-ping' level...

• John Robinson
          John Robinson
          2005-01-10

Well, on Gentoo, `emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx` might be just about enough.

• Not really, I had to emerge the 'unstable' nvidia drivers because the 6600GT really wasn't supported (I only managed to get total system freezes):
            ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge '=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r1' '=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r1'

Now it works, but not perfectly: every time I quit an application which uses openGL, the kernel freezes with blinking keyboard lights, but I guess this is why these drivers aren't in the stable portage tree yet...