Structure and organisation.

2004-02-18
2004-02-21
  • Luc Verhaegen
    Luc Verhaegen
    2004-02-18

There are a few ideas floating around already, but we intend to include several people as developers soon and involve everyone, so we do not wish to impose anything just yet.

Please express your views/visions/ideas for this project freely.

• Luc Verhaegen
      Luc Verhaegen
      2004-02-20

I've uttered the following in private discussions already:
      as a release and testing structure:

accepted:
      - has packages/binaries shortly after application
      - holds what is accepted in cvs of X/DRI
      pending:
      - has packages/binaries shortly after application
      - holds what we submitted to X/DRI
      testing:
      - has packages/binaries on a regular basis
      - holds stuff that will not be submitted (like thomas his memcpy)
      - final testing of stuff that will be submitted
      - should be used by as many people as possible
      experimental:
      - no packages/binaries
      - changes for testing go here first
      - should be built/tested by a few people to iron out daft things.

I think this would be best implemented as cvs-branches (reading up on cvs now). Tagged according to project version?

Next to this it might be a good idea to have cvs modules on people/subject basis, so as to provide cvs backing for developers.

A seperate module will be used to have the original via code in cvs, so as to its changes can be easily tracked.

The via source is divided in dri, drm, v4l and x. Are we going to divide this up like that too?

• Terry Barnaby
      Terry Barnaby
      2004-02-20

One thing I think is important is to try and get Via involved by
      any means possible. They may be more willing to give out information if they are involved. This will be especially important
      as new variations of chips come out. They may even be willing to finance some of the development :)

• Luc Verhaegen
      Luc Verhaegen
      2004-02-20

<bemused look>

• Luc Verhaegen
      Luc Verhaegen
      2004-02-21

translation:
      We would very much appreciate participation from via, especially since we are fixing their driver for their hardware so that countless free software users can use it freely and without too much hassle.

But, honestly, when did you last see via participate on their own forum, let alone some place else? Is there anything from the xfree86 via driver that was backported to their own driver recently? Did anything that is clearly marked as "need more information from via" get answered recently?

• Luc Verhaegen
      Luc Verhaegen
      2004-02-21

Anyway: cvs/project structure...
      How about that accepted/pending/testing/experimental idea then?

• Terry Barnaby
      Terry Barnaby
      2004-02-21

You, are probably right about Via, but there may be people
      interested in Via who might change things (I am ever the
      optimist  :) ). I am fairly new to the Via area, does anyone have any contacts within Via ?

The accepted/pending/testing/experimental idea sounds fine to me (as one who is not involved as yet ) ... Although it might be simpler to link the testing/experimental as one area, to simplify things.