Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Youtube Doesn't Work

Help
Veizar
2011-11-29
2013-04-10
  • Veizar
    Veizar
    2011-11-29

I've noticed that the linux and unix versions of UMplayer are no longer able to play Youtube.  Perhaps this is due to a new update in Youtube itself.  I know that the Linux/Unix versions UMplayer are not as heavily worked on as the windows versions, which is why in Windows, I can still watch Youtube from within UMplayer.

I can't speak for Mac users, (Perhaps the Mac versions still work ) however as far as Linux and BSD goes, I really would like a new update to come soon which will restore the Youtube functionality. 

• jammon101
    jammon101
    2011-12-02

In Ubuntu it still works.

For some reasons the packages on the download site for Linux are old. It offers 0.98 for WIndows but only 0.95 for Linux and Mac. In Ubuntu I installed through ppa (0.97 compile 4.7.2) The compile 4.7.2 was an update from svn  after Youtube changed its format and broke compatibility with Umplayer and other Youtube players many months ago. 0.95 was before Youtube broke its compatibility so it definitely doesn't work.

If you are using other Linux you may have to compile the latest version from source.

• Veizar
    Veizar
    2011-12-03

I understand.  However I'm using a FreeBSD so I don't have a PPA fix to look forward to. 

Thanks for your advice. 

I hope that the UMplayer project hasn't died and new updates will happen soon.

• jammon101
    jammon101
    2011-12-04

Yeah, I hope it has not died. It would be a shame as it is such a wonderful player.  I have emailed the developer several days ago about the outdated Linux and Mac version on the download page but haven't gotten any reply. On the other hand Smplayer has started developing again. If Umplayer stops developing I hope some of its features will be incorporated back into Smplayer.

• Veizar
    Veizar
    2011-12-04

Some of Umplayer's features were in SMplayer?

• jammon101
    jammon101
    2011-12-05

Hi,

I just compiled from the svn in Ubuntu and Fedora. It is a newer version (0.97) and youtube works in both cases. Down load the source with the command here http://www.umplayer.com/download/#source

The instruction is in install.txt.

For generic compile you need only install the qt4 developmental files (read  install.txt) If you encounter any problem try search the smplayer forum, the installation script appears to be totally from smplayer.

• LDMartin1959
    LDMartin1959
    2012-05-17

Playback of YouTube videos does not seem to work on Mac. Has there been a solution devised for this issue?

• Anonymous
    2012-09-14

what going on 
    i get a 404 error  for download
    i cant  even play  you tube videos  but i can play files 
    i think something was changed  w YT 
    can thing be fixed

• Anonymous
    2012-09-14

oh ya i have XP  and vista HELP

• Anonymous
    2012-09-15

ok yes  YT  DID CHANGE  this report from download helper After some changes in YouTube on September 14th, Video DownloadHelper was not able to download any video from this site, except the WEBM version while using the YouTube HTML5 mode. This is fixed in this addon version.

After some changes in YouTube on August 6th, a number of users reported that all downloads were failing. This was caused by a a Youtube-generated cookie. The workaround consisting of clearing the cookies before downloading was not very convenient. This addon version takes care of that issue.

Earlier this year, some other changes at YouTube caused the FLV videos downloaded through the 'network' method to have a fixed 1.7MB size and being unplayable. This is now taken care of. \
    hopefully they fix ir

• Anonymous
    2012-09-18

YouTube is definitely not working. I don't really understand the previous post-it's vague. What add-on is he talking about? Is he the developer?

I did clear IE cookies, and do a full clean install of UMP to no effect. There is no update for UMPlayer since 2011. Again, what 'add-on' is the previously user referring to??

Is there another software which can download Flash from websites, or at least YouTube? I really miss having the YouTube functionality-I don't have the bandwidth to watch high-res, nor just re-download everything if I want to see it again.

Is the developer aware of this and working on it????

• Anonymous
    2012-09-18

Just want to clarify my previous post. I've had a long-working install of UMP, more than 1 version actually. And a few days ago, YouTube downloads (and playing) just quit working. Same thing happening in v0.95 too. This seems to be due to a change on YT/Google's side. The errors are different 0.95 to 0.98, but the effect is the same: no download. Search function still works, but when trying to 'record video', just get an error, and a blank file in 'downloads'. Prior to this, for awhile (months) I noticed I often had to do multiple retries to get a video to download, but eventually it would go.

I've cleared cookies, added youtube to always allow cookies, tried setting Internet Zone (XP/ie8) to Medium, pop-up blocker off, Advanced settings at default, multiple reboots of course. Same thing. Is there a WORKAROUND?

• Anonymous
    2012-09-19

Coming back to share answers to some of my own questions.

I have found 3 alternatives so far, but they all work as plug-ins for browsers. I like UMPlayer's standalone feature. A lot. UMPlayer also has much more powerful controls (format, resolution), and was more stable and reliable (if you could get it to start, it usually did a complete download).

The one I'm experimenting with now (not necessarily the best, just the first one I found) is from IE-DownloadHelper.com, which I found at Softpedia. It does work, but is more difficult to use. Here are some instructions (not totally obvious from the website):
    -Install ie-downloadhelper. ie can be open.
    - open new ie window. a little icon at bottom bar of IE can be now seen: a blue with arrow-down as if to 'download'.
    - right or left click the download helper icon. no need to choose the 'activate' choice. choose last option in context menu to download (page must be loaded enough for plug-in to find the media).
    - NOTE. version as of writing does not seem to like 480p videos on youtube, but will do 360p. It also starts from where you switched from 480 to 360p. Also, the browser-based download continues to download while the plug-in downloads redundantly, separately, and incompletely. So, do the switch from 480p to 360p early on (youtube auto-senses my speed and chooses 480p automatically, so I have to change it each time). At least I can get a useful download, even if the beginning is a little cut off (acceptable for tutorials). You can specify a download directory. I have not messed with any other format than the default flv so far.

I later figured out what the previous poster was talking about. He had actually pasted content from another site without clearly saying so, explaining, or providing a reference. He was pasting text from Mozilla's website, which is a download page for DownloadHelper for Mozilla add-on.

So, the other 2 alternatives I've found: Download Helper for IE (dh4e.com, requires prequisite install which adds some kind of a toolbar), and DownloadHelper add-on for Mozilla (downloadhelper.net, does not seem to require a toolbar) (looks like both made by same developer). The previous poster was making a reference to the Mozilla add-on at downloadhelper.net. I have not tried either of these 2 yet, but at this point startig over, the Mozilla one would be my first try. Feel free to feedback here.

Message to Ori Rejwan (the developer): if you are aware of this current youtube incompatibility with UMPlayer, you should acknowledge this and leave a Status or News or Forum message confirming it, and what will or won't be attempted to fix it. At this point, it's not clear he's aware. I don't have a full sourceforge account and I have other things to get to, so I have not emailed him, nor do I use the IM system he provides as the only public way to contact him. So maybe someone else could contact him. Ori, please acknowledge this problem when you learn of it. Thanks. Great program and feature. I still use Media Player Classic-Home Cinema for as many videos as I can, but UMPlayer is a primary backup, and frequently used for YouTube over a slow internet connection. I sure hope it gets fixed..

• Mick Amadio
    Mick Amadio
    2012-09-19

There's a patch.

Here

If you use linux, patch the umplayer source and compile it.. else get your distro/package maintainer to do it.

I have never compiled anything in windows from source but will give it a go.

• Anonymous
    2012-09-19

hello  yes sorry, i pasted the from from Firefox,
    those are refering to Mozilla plug ins, all i used have e been patched except Unplug. 
    im still waiting on that.  Anyway I use windows  so that patch wont help me, i also don't know anyting about compiling, so i wouldn't know how to get it going.  i tryed  Desktube  and i found YTube player  until  its fixed, umplayer  just have be used  to play my files i guess.

• Anonymous
    2012-09-24

anyone have windows  fix?

• Anonymous
    2012-09-24

well i found sort a fix 
    i found
    http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/  SM PLAYER 0.81  fixed the searching (playing) and DOWNLOADING
    enjoy

• Anonymous
    2012-10-16

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/umplayer.php  FIXED UMPLAYER  YOU TUBE FIXED
    URL button not

• Anonymous
    2012-12-20

you tube changed again  smplayer fixed  but um is prob  done unless fixed