Menu

What is the Difference Between Defrag and (Full/ Quick) Optimization?

x000x
2014-12-17
2016-11-24
  • x000x

x000x - 2014-12-17

I've bee using Ultradrag 6.04 with good results under the menu 'Action 'option' of "Defragment". I notice there's 'Quick' and Full Optimization' in the menu as well.

What are the differences between Deragmenting and Optimization?

Any help, assistance in explaining the difference between the two is greatly appreciated.

Last edit: x000x 2014-12-17
  • Dmitri Arkhangelski

Please read docs at http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/handbook/Introduction.html
    I know, they aren't perfect, but they can give you a hint.

Last edit: Dmitri Arkhangelski 2014-12-17
  • Thomas Wilmot

Thomas Wilmot - 2016-11-23

I am using UltraDefrag 7.0.1, and am still wondering about this.

The Handbook states:

"Full optimization moves all small files and fragments to the end of the disk to release some space in the beginning. Then it moves them back, sorted by user defined criteria, to speed up access to groups of small files. By default files are sorted by path in ascending order. Additionally FAT directories and NTFS master file tables get fixed up as mentioned above."

Is this true? Does the Master File Table really get fixed when this is done through the GUI on a running system?

It also states: "Quick optimization is the same but it skips already sorted out files."

What does this mean?!?
    Already sorted out by a previous optimization?
    Is Quick Optimization something that you run again after an initial full optimization??

Please help me to clarify this.

Thanks!

• Dmitri Arkhangelski

Yeah, the handbook is up to date and it shows what actually happens when you run the latest version of the program. Whenever you run any kind of optimization (either quick or full), either from GUI, or at boot, the program will optimize the master file table first of all, i.e. it will place all its fragments as close as possible to each other. Of course, if no unmovable content messes around it will simply join them all together to a single contignuous file. Quick optimization is exactly the same as the full one, but it skips all the files already sorted out by the previous optimization. So, it's a good idea to run the full optimization and then the quick one whenever neccessary from time to time. It will complete faster and that's why we've added it to the program.