Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Windows NT 6.2 Compatibility?

waika
2012-08-19
2013-01-21
  • waika
    waika
    2012-08-19

Apparently there have been some changes to NTFS in NT 6.2 (Windows 8, Server
    2012) and though these changes aren't documented in detail yet (that I can
    find) articles like this MSDN
    article
    , and that several commercial defragmenters
    have indicated their current NT 6.1 tools should not be used on Windows 8 or
    Server 2012...

So, what's the poop? What do the Authors of UltraDefrag say? Is UltraDefrag
    5.0.6 safe to use on NT 6.2?

• Stefan Pendl
    Stefan Pendl
    2012-08-20

I was not able to successfully install the Win8 customer preview on a virtual
    machine, so I haven't tested Win8 by now.

We will see what can be done to check Win8 for compatibility.

--

Stefan

• waika
    waika
    2012-09-29

Any news on NT 6.2 support?

• Stefan Pendl
    Stefan Pendl
    2012-09-30

No, not yet since Win8 is not yet released.

--
    Stefan

• waika
    waika
    2012-10-01

Actually technically it is: the RTM version is out; anyone can get a full licensed version of the Sever edition of NT 6.2 via WebsiteSpark, and the desktop iteration of 6.2 in either it's free downloadable 'Release Preview', or the RTM images available through TechNet, WebsiteSpark, and DreamSpark all have the same file version NTFS file system and kernel level libraries. I can't feature a team of talented Developers like the UltraDefrag fellers should actually have to pay for a license(s) of NT 6.2...

Just say'n...

• waika
    waika
    2012-10-05

I just noticed there are new defrag parameters in the NT 6.2 'Microsoft Drive Optimizer' when you type defrag /? the parameters listed are:

Value Description

/A  Perform analysis on the specified volumes.
    /C  Perform the operation on all volumes.
    /D  Perform traditional defrag (this is the default).
    /E  Perform the operation on all volumes except those specified.
    /H  Run the operation at normal priority (default is low).
    /K  Perform slab consolidation on the specified volumes.
    /L  Perform retrim on the specified volumes.
    /M  Run the operation on each volume in parallel in the background.
    /O  Perform the proper optimization for each media type.
    /T  Track an operation already in progress on the specified volume.
    /U  Print the progress of the operation on the screen.
    /V  Print verbose output containing the fragmentation statistics.
    /X  Perform free space consolidation on the specified volumes.

Parameters D, K, L, and T are new and were not part of the NT 6.1 defragmenter that appear to represent some new capabilities in the defrag API. It also warrants mention that there doesn't appear to be anything new represented here with respect to any special features to support ReFS...

Last edit: waika 2012-10-05
  • waika
    waika
    2012-10-11

Just an anecdotal update; it appears the main, or possibly only source of 'incompatibility' between commercial defragmenters and NT 6.2 has to do with boot defrag methods...

• Stefan Pendl
    Stefan Pendl
    2012-10-11

We will see how this ends, I will just have to get this Win8 crap to install as a virtual machine.

--
    Stefan

• waika
    waika
    2012-10-12

Well there was apparently some collaboration between Microsoft, VMware Inc., Raxco and Condusiv Technologies with respect to the NTFS on VFS that is now different then native NTFS... I've been looking for some published deatails and has yet have found nothing but this may obviate developing and testing defrangmenting for NTFS on bare metal.

• Daniel Otis
    Daniel Otis
    2013-01-10

It's 2013 now and I was wondering of it is yet Windows 8 compatible?

• Stefan Pendl
    Stefan Pendl
    2013-01-10

I was able to install a test environment, but the test machine is not working as expected without UltraDefrag.

This is the first Windows release that gives me headaches and I have installed hundreds of systems successfully in the past.

We can't test if the system itself is unstable.

Stefan

• Daniel Otis
    Daniel Otis
    2013-01-10

I didn't see a way to send a private message but may I ask what your test machine setup is? I have been running Windows 8 on bare hardware and in a VMWare VM since RTM without any trouble. Maybe I can help

• Stefan Pendl
      Stefan Pendl
      2013-01-13

I only succeeded to setup a Win8 VM at work, but at home I fail.

The VM from work doesn't even run at home, where my hardware is much newer than at work.

Seems I need to do a clean install of my system or change hardware at home.

Thanks for your offer.

Stefan

• DownTownJoe
    DownTownJoe
    2013-01-20

I am running Windows 8 Pro natively and UD runs perfectly. No issues at all. Everything just works.

Thank you for a great app.

• Stefan Pendl
      Stefan Pendl
      2013-01-21

Thanks for the information.

We hope to get a running Win8 system soon to be able to fully test it ourselves.

Stefan

• DownTownJoe
    DownTownJoe
    2013-01-21

Is there any tests you would like for me to put it through and I can then post my results?

• Stefan Pendl
    Stefan Pendl
    2013-01-21

Since you don't have my test drives, I have nothing to compare with.

Stefan