16-bit tiff save from UFRaw crashes

2012-05-23
2013-02-27
  • Stephen Gibson
    Stephen Gibson
    2012-05-23

When I try to save out a 16-bit tiff from UFRaw it crashes.

8 bit saves are fine and 16-bit saves work when I set it to downsample the image: about shrink factor 2.00 and smaller

I'm on Win 7 64 bit. 8g ram. Any assistance greatly appreciated

• Stephen Gibson
    Stephen Gibson
    2012-05-23

update: It works with shrink factors of 1.04 and higher.
    can't get it to save out at native resolution

• Stephen Gibson
    Stephen Gibson
    2012-05-25

Found a work-around: rotate each image 90 counter-clockwise and it exports full resolution at 16-bit

This is probably just a problem on my machine, but who knows? maybe this will help someone.

• alexander_vie
    alexander_vie
    2012-07-01

Yes, I can confirm that. I had no problems with images from an ESO 400D, but UFRaw seems unable to save 16bit TIFFs from an EOS 5D II - it dies with a 0xc00000fd (stack overflow) on Win 7 64 at least. Your workaround … ah … works, but this is not really a funny workflow.

The bad thing is that the ufraw project seems frozen … or dead. So, lets evaluate lightroom or Rawtherapee …

• Anonymous
    2012-07-01

UFRaw doesn't seem frozen, dead or even a bit ill to me…developers have just committed fixes to CVS a mere couple of days ago and it compiles and runs beautifully.

Not to say that RawTherapee isn't good, quite the opposite! Lightroom I've never tried but I hear many people are very happy with it.

For now, however, UFRaw outperforms both of those in quality. Especially in batch-mode, it runs circles around the rest! All IMHO, of course…