problems with ufraw (through convert)

Stefan
2013-06-30
2013-09-26
  • Stefan
    Stefan
    2013-06-30

    Hello,

    I've using ufraw through convert on Linux/ubuntu (UFRaw 0.18) to convert DNG files (processed with Lightroom, from my Canon EOS 40D) to JPG files. For some of the pictures this works well, for a lot of them I'm experiencing problems. The generated picture looks strange after conversion, some areas of the picture are missing.

    You can find the original DNG file here:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzoG-6ohQYvARjFVVWZXUlJDVG8/edit?usp=sharing

    This is the ufraw processed file:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzoG-6ohQYvASUVIaDF3WGJDLVE/edit?usp=sharing

    This is the output of convert/ufraw:
    sbe@home:~$ convert -verbose -resize 1400 -quality 90 IMG_4269.dng IMG_4269.jpg
    "ufraw-batch" --silent --create-id=also --out-type=png --out-depth=16 "--output=/tmp/magick-LTE8Wk10.png" "/tmp/magick-niMF04wh"
    Found a generic profile, type exif
    /tmp/magick-LTE8Wk10.png PNG 3908x2602 3908x2602+0+0 16-bit DirectClass 35.98MB 0.970u 0:00.990
    IMG_4269.dng=>/tmp/magick-LTE8Wk10.png DNG 3908x2602 3908x2602+0+0 16-bit DirectClass 35.98MB 0.020u 0:00.019
    IMG_4269.dng=>IMG_4269.jpg DNG 3908x2602=>1400x932 1400x932+0+0 16-bit DirectClass 180KB 1.180u 0:01.219

    Do you have any idea what is going wrong here?

    Regards
    sbe

     
  • Chun Li
    Chun Li
    2013-09-26

    Stefan,

    I did some testing on Ubuntu 12.04 and found out that the 12.04 repository ufraw-batch (ver 0.18) will generate the block artifact as in your example jpg file. My self-installed version (0.19.2) does not. So installing the latest version of ufraw may solve your problem.

    It seems your imagemagick (convert is part of it) is a repository version, which gets the delegate command for .dng files from /etc/ImageMagick/delegates.xml . If so, the above solution may be good enough.

    My imagemagick is a self-installed version, which uses the magick/delegate.c file to hard-code delegate commands. It uses an absolute path for ufraw-batch and also has a few other errors. I made the following edits to make it work for me:

    1. /usr/local/bin/ufraw-batch (instead of /usr/bin/ufraw-batch)
    2. --out-type=ppm --out-depth=16 (instead of --out-type=ppm16)
    3. --output=%u.ppm (instead of --output=%u.pnm)

    Changing both ppm to png works too.

    Chun