UFraw / DCraw conversion methods

John
2013-11-28
2013-11-30
  • John
    John
    2013-11-28

This question is aimed at being able to use Ufraw more effectively. There are 2 aspects.

Say I have a raw file that contains 12bit colour information. My screen can only display sRGB but I am not clear just how the 12bit is mapped into 8bit colour space. When I adjust curves I get the impression that they behave in the same way as curves working on a jpg in the GIMP. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for controlling the colour space conversion so that more bits from the raw file are bought in. I appreciate that they have to be compressed.

The 2nd point is basically the same situation but exporting to an application that uses a much deeper colour space, Fotoxx in my case. When using say a burning brush I expect it to bring in the extra bits of colour etc but I'm not clear if when I export 16bit tiff if all of the information is there. Again this really comes down to understanding what the curve controls actually do.

Hope some one can explain. I have been using it on and off for some time.

John

• John
    John
    2013-11-30

:-) I became a bit garbled in that post so perhaps I can try to be a bit more precise.

I want to know what happens to say 12bit colour channels when they are passed through UFraw and displayed in sRGB and if there is a way of controlling how that is done.

Then comes the question of exporting say 12 bit colour channels to a package that can handle deeper colour spaces even though it's working in sRGB. Not clear what happens if 16bit tiff output is selected for instance.

John