UFRAW and Fujifilm RAF (X-E1)

Karim
2013-05-24
2013-10-18
  • Karim
    Karim
    2013-05-24

Hi,

I downloaded and built 0.19.2 on my computer, yet I'm still getting this error when I try to use it on a .RAF file: "Cannot decode file <file path="">". I'm trying this on a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 OS and I configured the build with "./configure --enable-extras". I know the file is not corrupted because I am able open it on a Mac.

Thanks for your help,
    Karim

• It is './configure --enable-x-trans' not './configure --enable-extras'.

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• Karim
    Karim
    2013-05-24

It works! (I should have read the README).

Thanks,
    Karim

• Hi Karim.

You are welcome. Beware that there are some interpolation artifacts ("zipper effect") with the Fujifilm files. That is why support for those files is not enabled as default.

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• rlx2
    rlx2
    2013-07-10

dcraw v9.19 now decodes RAF files without artifacts. So I got the last version of UFRAW from CVS and indeed it comes with dcraw v9.19. I compiled and loaded a RAF file but I still see a fine grid over the image at full resolution. It looks like UFRAW uses the equivalent of 'dcraw -D ...' to get the raw pixels and then handles the demosaicing job separately. 'dcraw' uses a three pass algorithm to decode RAF files.

I was wondering whether I missed some option somewhere or the interface with dcraw still needs additional work in the case of RAF files?

Regards. Richard

• I have not had time to make the necessary changes to the UFRaw code so it can use the new interpolation algorithm for RAF files. It is on my todo list.

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• I have added the new interpolation algorithm to UFRaw Today, but there are still some interpolation artifacts to be ironed out.

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• doctordruidphd
    doctordruidphd
    2013-10-17

I just compiled the latest CVS release, thanks for the x-trans support. One problem I am seeing is that in the normal view, the image has a green tint. If I correct that and send it to GIMP, the image in GIMP is magenta. If I don't correct it, the image in GIMP is normal. However, if I zoom to the 100% view, the image in UFRAW looks normal, and sends normally to GIMP.

• It might be because the normal zoom levels use half-size interpolation while full zoom use the new interpolation algorithm. I will have to look into that some more.

Regards,
    Niels Kristian