UFRaw 0.17 and Windows 7 x64

2010-07-29
2013-02-27
  • Mike Glover
    Mike Glover
    2010-07-29

I have GIMP 2.6.10 installed on my Windows 7 x64 workstation.
    I'm trying to install UFRaw 0.17 but it doesn't appear to be compatible with 64bit windows.
    First off, after the install I double click the UFRaw shortcut and I get errors about missing dll's. Once I hunt down these missing dll's and add them to the bin folder in UFRaw I end up with the following error:

The procedure entry point g_file_test_utf8 could not be located in the dynamic link library libglib-2.0-0.dll

Has anyone been able to get UFRaw working on Windows 7 64bit?
    If so, how do I get past these errors.

Thanks,
    Mike

• The GIMP 2.6.10 is a combined 32-bit and 64-bit installer. I have managed to get UFRaw 0.17 working with GIMP 2.6.10 by changing the install directory to C:\Programs\GIMP 2\32 while installing UFRaw. UFRaw will then use the 32-bit libraries.

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• Mike Glover
    Mike Glover
    2010-07-31

Brilliant! It works now. Thanks for you help.

• Gerry Potter
    Gerry Potter
    2011-12-13

I have recently bought a new PC with Windows 7 64 bit OS. I have installed Gimp 2.6.10  (I did try 2.6.11 but I was unable to get the download Help manual to work so reverted to 2.6.10). Whwn I install UFRaw 0.17 as detailed above i get an error message "libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll not installed" I have tried variuos combinations of  the two  Gimp distibutions with UFRaw 0.17 and 0.18 but the same error message appears. Can anyone advise asolution please?

• Make sure you install a 32 bit version of GIMP. UFRaw will not work with the 64 bit version.

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• Michael
    Michael
    2012-06-18

It would seem that Gimp 2.8 comes with a combined 32-bit/64-bit installer that detects which version best suits the installed OS and automatically installs 32-bit Gimp on a 32-bit OS and 64-bit Gimp on a 64-bit OS.

Is there a way to force Gimp to install the 32-bit Gimp 2.8 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine?

• Hugh Warren
    Hugh Warren
    2012-06-20

I have only the dimmest idea of what I am doing, so follow my lead at your peril, BUT … I've just loaded GIMP 2.8 then had problems like above getting UFRaw to load. Finished up loading UFRaw into C:\Program\GIMP 2\32  as advised above. Still got the error messages about missing *.dll files, so copied all of the .dll files out of  …\GIMP2\32\bin into …\GIMP2\32\UFRaw\bin and voila! It seems to work. A couple of the files were already there, so when asked whether or not I wanted to replace them I said "no". I haven't done much yet, but both UFRaw and GIMP seem to be working. Good luck.

• eideda
    eideda
    2012-07-08

Windows 7 x64  <<>>  Gimp 2.8.0  <>>>  UFRaw 0.18
    i added the location of the 32 bit DLL Gimp folder to my path environmental variables

start  >> right click on my computer >> properties >>advanced system settings >> advanced tab >> Environment Variables >> system variables >> scroll down to path
    or
    start >> control panel >> system >> advanced system settings >> advanced tab .> environment variables >> system variables >> scroll down to path

hi-light "Path" and click edit, and to the end add (don't forget the semi-colon at the beginning):
    ;C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\32\bin

change the drive letter \ install location to wherever you installed Gimp 2
    (mine was D:\Program Files\GIMP 2\32\bin)

• Kenton Green
    Kenton Green
    2012-10-20

I have ufraw 0.18 working on gimp 2.8.0 on windows 7x64.
    Install ufraw not to the default directory, but instead to the c;/program files/gimp 2/32 directory (not gimp 2/32/ufraw). I also followed the other suggestions regarding changing the environmental variable, and copying the plugin from the ufraw subdir to the proper gimp plugin subdir (C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\32\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins).

• A_P
    A_P
    2012-10-29

copying the plugin from the ufraw subdir

What exactly do you mean by this(you can try giving me a path as i have everything installed in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2).

• Kenton Green
    Kenton Green
    2012-10-31

Hi rietpen,
    yes, I said that incorrectly, here's a better description:
    Copy the file "ufraw-gimp.exe" from "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\32\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins" (which is the result of installing ufraw to the non-default install location under gimp 2/32) to the following directory:
    "C:\Users\&lt;username>\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins" where <username> is your username.

(I didn't have to download or manually move or copy any dll's into any directories, by the way, to get this to work as a plug-in and standalone.)

I hope you are successful.