Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

It still crashes from Canon Powershot G1 RAWs

2013-03-09
2013-04-04
  • The crash caused by Canon Powershot G1 RAWs (https://sourceforge.net/p/ufraw/bugs/262/), declared as fixed, still occurs in v0.19.1.

• I tested with the Canon PowerShot G1 file from www.rawsamples.ch. It crashed UFRaw 0.18 but not UFRaw 0.19.1 on my system. Please send me a sample file which crashes your system (and a step by step guide to reproduce the crash).

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• Any RAW will do the job, the one from rawsamples.ch too. Simply open it. The preview works correctly, you can play with the settings. Click Save. As the progress bar gets very close to the end, there comes the crash. Tried on another machine, same result.

Last edit: Gabor Szalipszki 2013-03-09
  • I can open the file from www.rawsamples.ch and save the resulting image without a a crash using UFRaw 0.19.1 om Windows 7.

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• Now either you are blessed or I am cursed. I tried it on a third machine with Windows 7 (32 bit), but the very same thing happens. There must be something common about the machines I tried, which differs from yours. The only thing that currently comes in my mind is the system language... None of these machines have Windows in English. But I don't find it to be a likely cause, there are no special characters either in the installation path and the path to the RAWs.

Do you have any idea what I should try?

EDIT: I tried the RAWs from a Panasonic DMC-FZ30 too, they can be saved normally.

• I have reopened the bug report. I was using the UFRaw 0.19.1 prerelease dated 2013-03-06 which worked. The bug has reappeared in the UFRaw 0.19.1 release dated 2013-03-08. Strange...

Regards,
    Niels Kristian

• Yeah, this camera is driving me crazy with its CYMG sensor. It was bought in 2008 to be a dirt cheap test subject for infrared photography (the DIY removal of the hot mirror carries some risks, and by that time I wasn't even sure whether it will fit my interests or will just rot in the drawer after a few dozen shots). I should have bought and converted a better one looooong ago.

Now I did it, only the borosilicate glass going to replace the hot mirror has yet to arrive, but that's little help for the dozens of valuable shots already made with this camera. I use infrared not the "look, how different" way, but rather like black&white - fine tuning of WB and levels would be important, something not that easily done in DCRAW...

• Udi Fuchs
    Udi Fuchs
    2013-03-12

This bug should be fixed now in CVS.

• It's little help for those of us using Windows... :( Two years ago or so I decided to attempt to compile it for myself, but it failed at the point of downloading the required libraries, as many of these were no longer online...

• UFRaw 0.19.2 has been released with this fix (and a lot of other fixes).

Regards,
    Niels Kristian