Help
2011-01-09
2013-04-24
  • U-SDR-1004-netbook-010111.iso

login and pass please?

• stlouisubntu
    stlouisubntu
    2011-01-11

Hey friend!  Thanks so much for downloading the SDR lucid netbook!  Thanks also for spotting this bug which is now being looked into.  Somehow this problem manifested in conjuction with a kernel update.  Clearly it should autologin to the live enviroment if that is what is selected or alternatively begin the install process if that is what is selected.

In my research so far, I am not able to properly fix this.  However, I am exploring a couple of workarounds.  One option is to revert to the a prior kernel (and headers) prior to the bug.  The other option is to set a password on the "ubuntu" user to allow for a login.  I am thinking the former will be a better option.  The user will then be able to apply all updates post install to upgrade to the current kernel.

Sorry you had this trouble.  Thanks again for posting about this.

• stlouisubntu
    stlouisubntu
    2011-01-12

Hey friend, the latter workaround seems to have worked.  I tested the fixed and latest version (in kvm) and it seems to be working fine now.  Would you consider confirming this for me with a full install?  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-sdr/files/SDR-DVD-isos/U-SDR-1004-netbook-011111.iso/download
    On this one the user name is "ubuntu" and the password is "ubuntu" (but it should not ask this.)
    The maverick UNE .iso has this same issue which I hope to apply the same workaround within the next day or so.
    Thanks for letting me know about this and again sorry you had this problem.

• Now is working, stlouisubntu :)
    stlouisubntu, Can I ask a favor? The only language is English.
    I wanted it in Brazilian Portuguese to distribute to friends and family.
    Preferably, the desktop version 10.04.
    thanks!

• stlouisubntu
    stlouisubntu
    2011-01-13

I am glad it is working fine now, friend.  Thanks again for the bug report.

Further, I will get to work on a Brazilian Portuguese version shortly.  Hope to have a new subdirectory with some initial spins done by the end of this weekend.  I plan on taking the existing 10.04 images and adding the new language pack (not only for the OS but also for Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.)

The only thing I ask is that once they are done and working well would you be willing to promote them for download.  Perhaps, getting a mention on a Brazilian blog or two or Brazilian technology news site or something?

Thanks so much.   :-)

• ah! and "unrar" because it is useful :)

• stlouisubntu
    stlouisubntu
    2011-01-14

Well, the DVD images already include mscorefonts, flash, sun-java6, vlc, dvdcss, and unrar.  Right now gthumb replaces f-spot.  Rhythmbox remains as it it well integrated with the Ubuntu One music store (for lucid & maverick) and works really well.  One of the fundamental tenets of the Saner Defaults Remix is that mono apps are not sane default choices especially when there are better non-mono choies available (which there are.)  However, you did make me agree with shotwell.  I read about the recent development and it does sound like a saner default choice (so I will replace gthumb with shotwell.)  Further, I will install the elementary theme and will consider it for a default setting once I have had the chance to take a look at it in a vm.  (The DVD and CD images already include nautilus elementary.)

I should have a beta spin or two within next few days. 

If you want to try your hand at rolling your own with all of your own default apps and settings:

http://uck.sourceforge.net/     (The Ubuntu Customization Kit)

Also,  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization  (great resource.)

Those have both been tremendous resources for me.

However, it seems that Banshee is the only point where we really disagree:

http://www.muktware.com/b/35/290/12/2011/663

• stlouisubntu
    stlouisubntu
    2011-01-14

Also, what is your preference for a default Brazil apt repository?

• stlouisubntu
    stlouisubntu
    2011-01-14

Okay.  A beta of our new pt-BR / Brasil edition is be uploaded now (should be complete by about 1:00 a.m. CST January 14, 2011.  It is a DVD so it is about 1.2 GB in size.  I briefly ran it in KVM and it seems to work.  Also, the elementary theme is available but is not yet default.  I took a look at it and it does look good.  I will make it the default for next time.  Also, ad-block plus asks the user to select an ad-blocking subscription when Firefox is first launched (but I did not see an appropriate one for the language.)  Let me know and we can just remove ad-block plus from the default.  Also, I checked on the ubuntu manual and it has not yet been translated into pt-BR yet, so I guess I will remove it from the desktop as well (I am sure they could use help if you would like to translate it.)   http://ubuntu-manual.org/

Anyway, please download it and forward your input.  Perhaps we should start a new thread on the developer category instead of continuing this one in the "help" section.  (Further, if you request to be added to this project - in sourceforge, it will be approved.)

I think the default repository I set is the one at the University of Sao Paulo.

• Thank you very much!! :D I don't use ad-block. I'll download it for try ;)

• I downloaded and now I give my feedback:
    We have a guide for ubuntu 10.04 for brazilians in pdf ( http://www.4shared.com/document/J8LS9Olk/ubuntu_guia_do_iniciante.html )

There are some programs that I found unnecessary :S
    antivirus scanner
    back in time
    scribus
    KompoZer
    synapse
    diff meld
    games extra

Internet in Brazil is very slow, so a big .iso isn't good ~.~

Can you install Emesene?

Elementary is *0*

• I loved the lubuntu version pt-br, but is not fully translated.
    why do not you create one. iso with two languages? (pt-br and english)

For Lubuntu my suggestion is install shotwell, deadbeef player, remove aqualung
    and I don't now WHY you removed the terminal (lx-terminal), I'm using the hidden terminal alt + f2 gnome-terminal

Another version that I loved was ubuntu 10.04 netbook, was actually installed the basic and necessary.
    Can u do a .iso with two languages 100% translated?

Abraços! Hugs!