From: Bill Kendrick <nbs@so...> - 2009-03-16 18:23:33
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:21:24AM -0300, Bruno Dilly wrote:
> All the ideas listed last year were implemented already?
The initially-listed TP ideas (when we applied for GSOC 2008) were:
* Bring older Windows port up-to-date (Win95, Win98, WinME).
John Popplewell already did that.
* Create new Magic tools (using the new plug-in API).
Man were created. We (read: Pere) are making them ready for prime-time.
* Integrate thumbnail dialogs (Open, New and Slideshow) into one
I think 2 of you students did this prior to GSOC actually starting,
but it was never _acutally_ integrated. :^P
* Make UI themeable (e.g., larger buttons and high-contrast for the
I should've mentioned this to David Bruce. :)
* Improve support for content (e.g., where metadata is stored,
Starters, add support for Templates, etc.) for more fine-grained
control, esp. in schools.
I did a little of this recently. Sitting down and doing a full design
would be useful, so I'd avoid doing this as part of GSOC.
It's not super-important at this point.
* Add support for system file dialogs (Open, Save, Save As...) for
people/schools who need or want more than the built-in
thumbnail-based sandbox for files.
Done. Works somewhat. Has a few places where it could be improved,
and it crashes for me.
Also, like I said before, we need to worry about all this tag-along
metadata, like 'what started did this picture start with?' and
'what text labels have been applied?'... unless we want to just call the
file dialogs 'import/export', and have Tux Paint prefer to save files
in its sandbox.
And in _that_ case, the UI needs to be adjusted, because you can only
do one, or the other, not both... based on how you built Tux Paint. :^/
* Create selection tools (select, unselect, copy, paste, move,
I tried running the code for this from last year's GSOC, and sadly have
not been impressed so far. I might be missing something (accel keys
or something else non-obvious?) Plus it crashes.
* Support system copy/paste (to paste into or from external
It looks like this was being started in the Selection tool project,
but also was not complete. (In fact, I had to update the Makefile
that came with the code from SVN at code.google.com, so that it
built and linked against the 'clipboard.o' code, otherwise it woudln't