Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo
Via Bob R., 2010.12.22:
"This was while I had my old version of OS X. Unfortunately, I dropped that computer and the replacement came with Snow Leopard. With 100% consistency, this operating system has been unable to open Tux Paint."
Crash log from Bob R. (permission given to post it to SF)
On 2010.12.22, Martin F. replied:
I'm still only running Leopard at the moment, but I will be able to test Tux Paint on Snow Leopard over the holidays next week. I'm guessing there might be an incompatibility with the (older) packaged SDL libraries in Tux Paint and Snow Leopard. I'll let you know what I find...
migrated from iBook G4 to MBA running mac OS 10.6.6
Surprisingly, TuxPaint did run for 2 days... but after refuse to start:
"Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000009e795d18
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread"
Strange, I'm getting a number of reports of problems with Tux Paint on Snow Leopard. I did manage to run it fine when I had access to Snow Leopard over the holidays, and created a new build with the most recent SDL libraries and a newer fontconfig library (which has caused some problems in the past):
Give this a try and let me know if it works or not...
Unfortunately this did not help... let us know if you need any additional trace or log.
reverted back to release 0.9.14 - this one does work with macOS 10.6.6
Thanks for the note, mf69. By any chance, can you check whether any other versions between 0.9.14 and 0.9.21 work on Snow Leopard? That'll help us pinpoint whatever the change may have been that's causing the incompatibility.
It does work up to version 9.17; I have re-tested right now, and I can't launch 9.18
Good to know, thanks, mf69. My suspicion is that 0.9.18 is where fontconfig was added as a dependency; will have to double-check when I get home tonight...
Based on reports & investigation by others, it sounds like the issue may be due to a bug somewhere in the font-loading routines (NOT fontconfig & Pango, which are used for UI labels, but libSDL_ttf used by the Text tool).
Please go into the Tux Paint Config. tool, go to the "Languages" tab, and disable the "Load System Fonts" setting in the 'Fonts' section, on the right. Please let us know if this helps!
Tux Paint had some issues with some fonts on some systems in the past, so we may need to add some additional fonts to a 'blacklist' that Tux Paint has, and of course check whether newer versions of libSDL_ttf or FreeType help.
Closing as duplicate of #2886794.