Using the loader with virtual hosting?

Help
2004-04-24
2004-05-03
  • Dwane Lumley
    Dwane Lumley
    2004-04-24

Hi I have just discovered Turck MMcache and am particularly interested in the encoder / decoder. I have written a few scripts that I would like to distribute without source code.

I don't have access to the PHP.ini file since I am on a virtual hosting package, can one call the loader from a command line in such a case?

I've had a look on the various sites but can't seem to find out anything about this.

I've done a bit of testing with ioncube and found it to be possible but I don't have $200 to fork out at this time.

Thanks
    Dwane

• Web Chemistry
      Web Chemistry
      2004-05-03

You can use the standalone loader with virtual hosting, as long has you have enable_dl set to 1 (check this with phpinfo() ), and you are allowed to dl() a module from your website directory.

From my experience, these requirements are often met by virtual hosting services.

However, you will need the loader module itself, and its usually impossible to compile it on a virtual hosting account. The good thing is that these modules seem compatible between major PHP versions (i.e. 4.3.1 trought 4.3.6 etc).

If you would like to give it a try, I can send you a module that was built against php 4.3.3 and seems to work on 4.3.x on at least redhat 7, 9 and suse.