Getting more C/C++ coders onto the project

2004-05-02
2004-05-05
  • Hi Guys,

I'd like to thank all the people who took up the reins of this project - what I'm proposing is of no disrespect to them, but there still seems a lack of participating developers.

So if we can't bring developers to the project, how about taking it to them by moving the project to PECL?  even see if the APC developers want to get involved? or merge the projects and get a truly awesome alternative to the Zend products?

I hope this isn't too controversial, and is seriously considered.  I know that PECL doesn't offer the best facilities, but I would certainly contribute as much as possible by registering any domains (once a name is chosen) and providing hosting for the main site and forums etc :)

• Hős Endre
      Hős Endre
      2004-05-03

Hi!

Hm, I don't think about to move or rename the project. I am about to let the new release out.

Before I have joined the group of the developers, MMC didn't worked with the freshest PHP5 betas. That was the reason for me to get involved - I need it work. Right now the CVS version works with PHP5RC2, but is buggy. I will solve this problem soon.

The project doesnt need a large number of developers, but some guys who are not just interested, and helps each other. 3 developers are totally enough, but at this time I am not. Not my knowledge, but my time misses. ;( I'd rather do it all the time.

As you can see I havent committed any changes to the CVS in the last 4 weeks because I am engaged with my tasks other than MMC.

By the way I think fixing the upcoming bugs is much more easier than merging with APC, or any other.

Is an experienced C developer around, who can understand the sources, and modify it with care? Anyone interested?

• Gabriel Ricard
      Gabriel Ricard
      2004-05-04

I'll take a crack at whatever I can. I've got some experience fiddling with PHP internals and extensions and a general knowledge of C. Are there any specific things I could try working on?

• Hős Endre
        Hős Endre
        2004-05-04

Please, drop me a mail, and we can discuss things.

• Ripta Pasay
      Ripta Pasay
      2004-05-04

Just as a side note...
      I'm actually running MMCache 2.4.6 with PHP 5RC2 and Apache 2.0.49. Haven't seen any anomalies so far, except that it totally breaks phpPgAdmin.

• Hős Endre
        Hős Endre
        2004-05-05

Please try the CVS version - after new commit is available - with phpPgAdmin. Not sure it will work, but a bug related to class inheritance was fixed today. This caused segfault.