The end of Turckmmcache ?

Thien
2004-11-03
2013-06-04
  • Thien
    Thien
    2004-11-03

I just sent an email to the developer of http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/

There was a rumor he might pick up support of mmcache and/or combine the two accelators into a single product.

The original developer of mmcache was hired by Zend and since dropped this project cold .. =(  Looking at CVS, I only see one programmer contributing a significant amount of changes since the original programmer left for Zend (the company that really produces PHP).

Many weeks ago, I heard a rumor that the CVS version of mmcache works with PHP5, but looking today, I see no updates in 5 months.  BTW, I believe the CVS version is the most up-to-date and fewest bugs.  So be sure to click on the CVS link at the top of this page instead of just downloading the release made months ago.

• Franck
      Franck
      2004-11-04

>I just sent an email to the developer of
      >http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/

He reply something interesting ?

>There was a rumor he might pick up support of
      >mmcache and/or combine the two accelators into
      >a single product.

Nick Lindridge (PHPA), alias nicklin, said on Help forum the 2004-01-07 :

"We plan to ourselves publish a bug fix / feature  update  to  mmcache 2.4.6 and this will  be  available  from  our  site.  We  have  always considered mmcache to be an excellent piece  of  software ,  and  we'd be happy to see the  project  continue.  If  we  can  help  with  this ourselves then we will."

>I heard a rumor that the CVS version of mmcache
      >works with PHP5

It's not a rumor, i use 2.4.7-cvs since php5 rc1. Just it is NOT stable. Lot's of segfault when you use new things offered with php5.

------------------------------------------------

I prepare something for turckmmcache. This project must continue. We can't stop here. We must pay motivated people and make noise around turckmmcache. Noise will start with PHP Forum at Paris, 18/19 nov 2004. Unfortunatly, google already indexe something on my website, too early, i prepare a manifesto called "TurckMMCache must WAKE UP"

Call NICK from APC will be a PETITION, first qualified person after Dmitry to manager this project.

Regards,

Franck T.

• Reiner Jung
    Reiner Jung
    2004-11-04

Hello together,

we take a look at the code and we need the cache also for our project. We have done some bugfixing at the mmcache and we will make this month the first release with the first fixes.

It will not published under mmcache but also on sourceforge and for sure under GPL. The reason for a  new name are that we don't know about copyright rights on the old name ...
    Please give us a few days to finish and test it.  We for sure not so good at the moment as dstogov was, but we will work hard on it to become again a free cache soon.

Regards
    Reiner

• Franck
      Franck
      2004-11-04

>we take a look at the code and we need the
      >cache also for our project. We have done some
      >bugfixing at the mmcache and we will make this
      >month the first release with the first fixes.
      Great !

>It will not published under mmcache but also on
      >sourceforge and for sure under GPL.
      95%(more?) of your code is Turck MMCache. So, don't forget Dmitry and history of Turck MMCache in README files & others. Please.

> Please give us a few days to finish and test it
      No problem, we have no choice :)

>We for sure not so good at the moment as
      >dstogov was
      For sure .. but if you made some patchs, is a very good begining, no ? Last patch 5 months old :)

> but we will work hard on it to become again a
      > free cache soon.
      Let's see.

On my side, i finish a website to make noise around Turck MMCache, in a few days too.

If your patchs are goods, my manifesto (the website) for turckmmcache will be transform into a simple page of the story of Turck MMCache, and i will not speak about Turck MMCache in PHP Forum 2004, 19 oct, as I want to speak about for now.

Please make a little annonce here when you want we test your patchs. Thanks in advance, it will be a pleasure to have no segfaut in my log files.

Franck T.