Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

updating profile

Help
demention
2009-12-22
2013-04-30
  • demention
    demention
    2009-12-22

Hello
    I am attempting to update my profile but I am receiving the below error.

root@server # /opt/tripwire/sbin/tripwire -m p -c /opt/tripwire/etc/tw.cfg -p /opt/tripwire/etc/tw.pol -d /opt/tripwire/lib/tripwire/server.twd -Z low /opt/tripwire/sbin/twpol.txt
    Parsing policy file: /opt/tripwire/sbin/twpol.txt
    ### Error: Character Encoding Error.
    ### Filename: /opt/tripwire/lib/tripwire/server.twd
    ### Exiting…

Does anyone know how to correct this?

• mdemicco
    mdemicco
    2009-12-22

I experienced this problem many years ago with Tripwire under Solaris 10. My solution at the time was to

# unset LANG

prior to issuing any Tripwire commands. Hope this helps!

• demention
    demention
    2009-12-22

Thanks I will have to give that a try.  How would I sent the LANG back after I have completed the profile update?

• demention
    demention
    2009-12-22

Another question, will I need to leave LANG unset for tripwire to run its usual process?

• mdemicco
    mdemicco
    2009-12-22

I don't know the reason behind the error but if I had to guess I would say the Tripwire software was compiled on a system with a different locale than is currently in use by your machine. If you simply # echo LANG you should be able to see what the current system localization is set to. Further, you can permanently modify the setting in the /etc/default/init file.

If unspecifying the localization gets your Tripwire working, yes, you will need to either unset it in whatever script/cron job you run Tripwire from normally, or reconfigure your system to a locale that works with the Tripwire binaries you are using.