New map: "Country Road"

Onsemeliot
2013-07-14
2013-07-21
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-07-14

This took me quite some time since I even adjusted the tilting in the curves. (Inside lower than outside.) I added some evy on a steep stone wall as well, but since Trigger Rally turns sprites randomly around this doesn't really look like intended.

At least I made a highly detailed additional corn plant to use on fields.

As well I made a new sky variation. Normally I put all new textures into the map file, but it could be a better idea to put it in the dedicated texture folders. Afterwards I wouldn't need to copy it in every map, where I need it. But to make this working we would need to implement the additional textures in the main texture folders on the SVN as well. If we can agree on that I could upload all my so far designed maps with linking into the texture folders instead of linking those images in the map folders.

Because the grass sprite was to bright in my map I made a darker version of it. In fact I think the grass would normally need to be darker except if you want to use it in dessert like levels.

Therefore I suggest having more than one version available.

http://www.veganmania.at/div/country.zip

• Liviu Andronic
    Liviu Andronic
    2013-07-20

Really nice country road. :) Cool road unevenness.

I would suggest amending the message: "Hills, Rocks, and Crops: Tread carefully." or just "Tread carefully".

"I added some evy on a steep stone"
    What do you mean by "evy"?

"At least I made a highly detailed additional corn plant to use on fields.
    As well I made a new sky variation."
    I missed those. Are they included in the map?

"Normally I put all new textures into the map file, but it could be a better idea to put it in the dedicated texture folders."
    Indeed. I'll take care of that when I start including in SVN your latest maps. If you have access to SVN, please go ahead yourself.

"Because the grass sprite was to bright in my map I made a darker version of it. In fact I think the grass would normally need to be darker except if you want to use it in dessert like levels."
    Agreed, both would be useful, and should suit author preference. Could you start a new thread discussing all the new sprite additions (with links to the actual images)? As Iwan I have some concerns about the bush sprite, and maybe we need to ask on some forum for an artist to come up with a more photo-like version.

Keep up the good work!

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-07-20

Sorry, what I ment was this ivy plant: http://opengameart.org/content/ivy

The corn plant is on the brown areas aka fields and is that one: http://opengameart.org/content/corn-resp-maize

I could draw a more realistic bush as well. But right now isn't a good time for me since I have a lot of urgent work. Do you mind if I postpone dealing with your suggestions?

• Liviu Andronic
    Liviu Andronic
    2013-07-21

Nice sprites. I like them. For the ivy, wouldn't it be better to have the grapes in some dark red or purple colour? This would provide a useful contrast to the green leaves.

"Do you mind if I postpone dealing with your suggestions?"
    Please take your time! For all of us Trigger is a hobby project, and we work on it when we have some spare time. No pressure here. :)