2013-05-26
2013-05-31
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-26

Hi, it's me again. I did two new maps:

http://www.veganmania.at/div/ancient.zip
    http://www.veganmania.at/div/highland.zip

"Ancient" is completely off road. Everyone has to find the best way to drive from checkpoint to checkpoint. I recommend to drive slowly since it's very easy to loose the grip. The map has its name from the huge ancient looking monuments along the way.

"Highland" is a fast, but at some spots a little tricky map with huge height differences, but a freidly plain road (most of the time).

• Liviu Andronic
    Liviu Andronic
    2013-05-26

Both look nice. Keep 'em coming!

• Ancient feels very much like a fantasy role-playing map. At some point it'd be nice to have a "fun/" map directory in the menu structure, to allow new players to pick and chose depending on what kind of race ("realistic" or fun) they want to start with.

I will finally commit your contributions within 24 hours.

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-27

I did my best to make ancient as realistic as possible as well. I had a version with very colorful monoliths, but decided to take out the colors since they didn't feel very real - even if my girlfriend instantly loved those colorful stones. ;)

There is no rush concerning the comitting of my maps. I only hope they will find their way to the next release. In the mean time I will try to add as many - hopefully interesting enough maps - as I can. Maybe I should consider an other event as well since there are many single maps already, but only very few events.

I didn't add any licence information in the single map folders. Should I add that before they get implemented or can we find a central space for it? (I think there will not be any variation.)

• Liviu Andronic
    Liviu Andronic
    2013-05-27

If you're looking for ideas, I'd really love to see some more Delta-like single maps: long (~15 min), realistic, rally-like tracks. I also like the idea of tracks being confined to islands -- this spices things up. Crossing rivers is also cool. Anyways, just a couple of things on my wish-list. :)

Please don't worry -- your contributions will make it to the next release. I plan to prepare it by the end of the summer. As for the licence info, I think we assume GPL2 unless otherwise stated. So once it's in SVN, it's OK.

PS I'm curious to try the colourful variation of Ancient. Could you post it (even if not for inclusion)?

• Onsemeliot
      Onsemeliot
      2013-05-29

@Liviu: If you want to try the coloured version just replace the file from the following link with the file already in the map-folder:

http://www.veganmania.at/div/c.png

For my taste Delta is a very nice addition, but I wouldn't like to have to many maps of that kind since it's very hard to get through it if you want to get to the speed limits.

Only if you drive very carefully and slow you can get trough it without horrible collisions.

I'll try to do something similar which can be driven faster.

In my experience a lot of fun of rally games is the drifting. That's just impossible in Delta...

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-05-29
      • Liviu Andronic
        Liviu Andronic
        2013-05-29

Thanks.

• I'm running late with the maps, sorry about that. At least the icons are in.

I'll assume GPL and we keep track of authors in doc/DATA_AUTHORS.txt

• I committed Onsemeliot's 5 maps.

Regarding Ancient: Having a track on grass, without roads and at risk of colliding with ancient ruins seems unrealistic to me. :)

• Onsemeliot
      Onsemeliot
      2013-05-30

Why? Unrealistic because of the way the level is designed or because you feel ruins in the grass are unrealistic as a rally map? I had Stonehenge in mind... ;)

• Liviu Andronic
    Liviu Andronic
    2013-05-30

Iwan, could you also commit Alps' Trophy?

• Actually, while racing next to ruins seems unrealistic, I wouldn't move it to 'fun' because of that, but the lack of (dirt) roads makes it feel like a chaotic stunt map rather than an organized race.

I'd rather it had a visible path, but actually it is much more less of a 'fun' map than labrally or the two frustrating spiral-shaped track maps. :)

Liviu: wow, I haven't checked out "Alps" before. It's amazing! (And I committed it just now)

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-31

If you feel it would work better with a clear road, I could add it. I just didn't because I wanted to have some variation in the maps. I'm not so sure if my maps are very different in the end.

Or should I do an other version with roads?

• I wanted to have some variation in the maps.

That's a good point. Unless anybody has a problem with the layout, I'd say just leave it.

Last edit: Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup) 2013-05-31