Music in Trigger Rally?

• Onsemeliot

I guess playing music is basically possible in Trigger Rally.

At the moment I'm using the game with turned off sound because I find the machinge noice very unpleasant and annoying, but I would love the possibility to play music instead.

Did you ever consider taking some music from

Of course if the game uses music it would be very advisable to integrate a menu for this.

As well I would prefer to enable people to chance XML-settings like screen resolution and key settings ingame without the need to actually touch config files. Therefore I suggest implementing such a config menu. What do you think of that?

• I vote against adding music to Trigger Rally.

Please explain more how the engine is annoying. Is it only the engine? What about collision bang sounds and the sand/tire sound? Is it enough to turn down the volume to make it nice?

I hope that Trigger Rally will stay simple and light-weight (file size). Music should be managed by players using their media players in the background.

It' be ideal to be able to change settings in the menu, but I don't think there's anybody available for implementing this feature. The best course of action would be to add a ticket to

• landroni

Music: The original engine/crash sound is indeed annoying. But correct me if I'm wrong, I think we've changed this in SVN. Iwan?

But I agree, having "music" music is undesirable: Fire up a music player. We could consider adding a mute option, but we need C skills to do that. So far, we have few of that.

Settings in the menu: Excellent idea, no skilled manpower.

• Onsemeliot

The size of the game is a good point. I didn't try to use a player in the background yet. If that works, it is fine as well.

I guess it's the machine sound. Even when I turn the sound down it's still getting at my nerves. Maybe the sample is just too high pitched. The banging sound isn't that great as well, but I can live with it. I have no problem with the sand/tire sound. On the opposit: I like it.

So actually nobody in the project right now has the propper programming skills? That's a shame. But it perfectly explains why nothing happens at this aspect of the project right now.

• Onsemeliot: have you tried the SVN version yet? Do you need instructions that go beyond the following command?

svn co trigger-rally
  • Onsemeliot

I didn't look into the SVN yet. I never worked with SVN before. Don't I need any specific privileges to access it?

• Bremm

You need only to commit.

Last edit: Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup) 2013-05-06
    1. You don't need privileges on the project to "checkout" the svn repository.
    2. You need to install the "subversion" software (most Linux distributions have it in their package management system).
    3. After you run the command seen in my previous post, a directory "trigger-rally/" will be created inside the working directory. Inside of it, you will find mostly the same things that are inside the downloadable archives. You will need to compile Trigger Rally.

Here is the relevant section from the doc/README.txt:

Source dependencies:
            OpenAL on linux platform
            FMOD on windows platform
                    (i386-mingw32msvc is the only tested build)
    To build trigger open a terminal and, in the top level of
    the trigger source directory, do:
    To run trigger without installing, copy the trigger
    executable to the data sub-directory and run it from
    there. That is:
    cp ./trigger data

Bremm means that you only need privileges to add/update files to the repository.

• Onsemeliot

Ok, I'll look into that when I have more spare time. I even did most of the described steps already when I installed the new game version on my old system. But yetserday I replaced my old system with the newly published debian stable. Therefore I istalled everything from the main debian repositories instead.

• Onsemeliot

It seems I can not build trigger rally. (It worked on squeeze a few weeks ago.) A not listed, but vital dependency is g++. But since so far I can't convince debian wheezy to skip the somehow preferred (but not existing) debian cd as source of the software, I'm unable to build the game on my system right now.

As well SDL is not enough information since there are about hundered different paggages more or less called SDL. Which one is it?

Unfortunately it looks like overcomming this obstacles will need more time than I can invest right now...

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-05-14
  • Onsemeliot

Now I managed to clean up my sources list by hand, but even if I have PhysFS installed it still can not be found:

$ ./configure
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking for target host... assuming unix
    checking for g++... g++
    checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
    checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    checking for suffix of object files... o
    checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
    checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
    checking for sdl-config... /usr/bin/sdl-config
    checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.5... yes
    checking for SDL_image >= 1.2... found
    checking for Alut... found
    checking for PhysFS... not found
    configure: error: Please install PhysFS

Maybe the problem is caused by an unusual path for my trigger-rally folder. Last time I used the default home folder. This time I decided to keep everything in my working directory for trigger rally. But since I started the building process in the relevant folder it should work - or am I wrong?

• landroni

To build the package make sure you have the following deps installed.

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5.0.0),
    automake (>= 1.9),

Some are redundant, but won't hurt.

• Most likely it's -dev packages missing.

• Onsemeliot

No, that's not the case. I definitely added the dev packages as well. I'll go through Livius' list when I have time again but as far as I understand the build script output the only issue is with "PhysFS" right now. There are only two packages available on Debian carrying this name. An I installed both.

Nobody ever mentions g++. Did I install this relatively huge package (>80 MB) without any need? Before I installed it the script gave up right at the beginning. Now at least it works nearly to the end...

Is there any way to change the subject of threads afterwards? I didn't find any way to do this on sourceforge so far.

• Onsemeliot

Thanks to your help I managed to build Trigger Rally from the SVN now.

You didn't implement my event and the maps yet. Are there any new things beside the new car textures and some new maps?

I quite like the classic map "Smallswirl" and as well enjoy the adaptations of "Old McDonalds'". I didn't consider it possibe to reuse the same maps for different races. This opens a whole field of interresting possibillities...

The "Lap Rally" races have their virtues as well. They are mainly too short for my taste.

• Onsemeliot

I'm not really happy right now concerning the music in the game since the game sounds can not be leveled down. And it's just messy and noisy to have as loud game sounds as music.

But yesterday I heard the motor sounds via headphones. They obviously are much better than my notebook speakers. Via headphones the machine sound is quite nice. Nevertheless I would prefer having only silent game sounds and louder music. So far I see no way to adjust my settings that way...

• landroni

Jasmine, do we have a low-cost way to allow muting sounds in Trigger? Or maybe to set the sound level [0:100]% in the config file?

• Set enablesound="yes" to no

• Onsemeliot

Ok, this would disable sound completely. It's a partial solution, but a solution.

• There is no way to change the sound volume without recompiling.

To change the volume, change line 945 in src/trigger/main.cpp from

PS: then you have to recompile and copy the ./trigger executable again.

Last edit: Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup) 2013-06-27