Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

New map: "Dry Run"

Onsemeliot
2013-05-20
2013-06-02
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-20

This is my 10th map: "Dry Run":

http://www.veganmania.at/div/dry.zip

Again I went for a classic fast map.

Have fun! :)

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-05-22
  • Liviu Andronic
    Liviu Andronic
    2013-05-21

Nice! You do like tricky corners :)

• qubodup
    qubodup
    2013-05-21

This is really not for something for driving with one's foot to the floor ("Bleifuß" in German :) ) I also love the color!

Will you add any vegetation or should we commit it like this.

May I ask: Do you draw the levels all in GIMP?

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-21

Will you add any vegetation or should we commit it like this.

I think it looks better without any vegetation sprites. (Not all landscapes need vegetation and for sure it isn't a disadvantage for performance reasons.)

Do you draw the levels all in GIMP?

I start with an Inkscape course, but use GIMP for the heightmap because I feel it's much easier to use for adapting various height differences. I normally prefer maps with a lot of height variation.

Usually I switch between Inkscape and GIMP very often, before I am satisfied with the result. A map takes me practically a whole day of concentrated work at the moment...

Why do you ask anyway?

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-05-22
  • qubodup
    qubodup
    2013-05-30

Just curious. Also I wonder if adding .svg files to the svn would be useful. I haven't added the .svg files for the maps by me that used .svg files in the process.

Being the .svg files 'only' being part of the process and not the end result makes it hard to decide that they should be included. They might be useful if also a .txt file is added, explaining how they were used..

• Liviu Andronic
    Liviu Andronic
    2013-05-30

I think including the .svg files (and some docs on how to use them) would be very nice practice. This way the levels can be re-edited by someone else later on, whereas currently they cannot.

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-30

If I look at my complicated process the SVG-files are used as starting point only. It wouldn't help much having them since adapting the curves for example would mean changing the heightmap and colormap in GIMP as well.

Later on I use the SVG-files mainly for convenience reasons for setting the correct checkpoints. I have no objection against including the SVG-files, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to adapt my files starting from them if they want to use more than the basic curves of the street. The heightmap and the colormap are heavily changed in GIMP starting from a raw plain svg file...

• qubodup
    qubodup
    2013-05-30

Perhaps we should include .svg files on the website with the tutorial/documentation instead, rather than having them in the source. :)

Speaking of which, I need to figure out what the plan was with the new documentation and start executing it. :)

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-31

From my side there wasn't much of a plan. When I started I just had a hard time figuring out what some XML-values do and what values work. I still learn new things and adapt the HTML-file accordingly. It just would be great if people interrested in map design for Trigger Rally could easyly find this guide...

• qubodup
    qubodup
    2013-05-31

I meant the plan of where to put what documentation. I found https://sourceforge.net/p/trigger-rally/discussion/527953/thread/44e1e7c3/ quickly :)

I put put your reference and my tutorial on the official page now. Press Ctrl+Shuft+R if it doesn't show.

Can I change your license to GFDL 1.3 or would you like it to specifically stay lgpl?

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-06-01

No, GFDL is fine as well.

The only thing is: now I don't have access any more to adapt the files if necessary...

But it looks great. Well done! :)

• qubodup
    qubodup
    2013-06-01

On-topic of the thread: I noticed (again?) that dry run has a beautiful color. :)

It looks like sourceforge is broken and we all have to be admins now.

Anyways, you are now an admin. Be careful and make sure your password is safe ;)

Overblown instructions on how to update web are at https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/SSH%20Client

This is what I do:

ssh -t MYUSERNAME,trigger-rally@shell.sourceforge.net create

Wait...

This I do once to make it easier to find the trigger project directory:

ln -s /home/project-web/trigger-rally/htdocs/ trigger-rally-web

This will allow you to slowly edit the xml reference online:

vim trigger-rally-web/reference/index.html

Alternatively you can copy it to your drive, edit it and copy it back:

(the following commands are done in a shell on the local machine, not via ssh).

scp MYUSERNAME,trigger-rally@shell.sourceforge.net:trigger-rally-web/index.html index.html

edit the file...

scp index.html MYUSERNAME,trigger-rally@shell.sourceforge.net:trigger-rally-web/index.html

I hope this will work!

Last edit: qubodup 2013-06-01
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-06-02

Thank you for putting together some code examples for me and for adding me as an admin. I don't know yet when I will try it out, but your advise will be helpful then... :)