Map Design FAQ?

Onsemeliot
2013-04-15
2013-05-05
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-04-15

For two days now I was working on two new maps for Trigger Rally. I put a lot of effort into it. Today I discovered the online HTML port of Trigger Rally:

http://www.triggerrally.com/

Is the original game team in any way related to that project?

There have been some changes. I love the fact, that there is an editor and that the textures are displayed in much greater detail. The ability to place concrete objects like signs and arches are as well an improvement in my opinion.

On the other hand I clearly prefer the original game since it allows me to create maps in more freedom and the driving physics is much better. Obviously the (nowadays) low end graphics are a good thing for older systems with less graphic memory but somewhat disappointing for people who are used to the newest toys and games.

I hope I can find enough time to finish my somewhat challenging tracks soon in order to share a new cup with all of you. What might be the best way to contribute them? (Unfortunately I'm not very technically skilled and fear it might be to hard to work with the SVN, but I think my level-design is quite nice.)

For me designing maps would have been a less rough start if I have had known a more detailed guide for designing new maps. The linked tutorial on the home page was a valuable starting point, but it doesn't cover a lot of important things such as editing the map XML attributes:

http://qubodup.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/making-trigger-rally-maps-racing-tracks/

Even after heavy testing with most of the parameters I do not understand all of it completely. I could begin kind of a level design FAQ, if the project is still active and won't be shut down soon. Since I'm not a native speaker my descriptions may sound strange at times, but I should be able to explain basic facts...

Should I put something together for the sourceforge game page?

I love trigger rally. It's one of the best rally games I know. I am very happy it is free software. Otherwise I might have been unable to get through the last Trigger Cup map. I needed quite a few seconds more... Easy to adjust, if you look for it... ;)

Luckily as well adjusting the aspect ratio for my screen was quite straight forward. Unfortunately I have no idea how C++ works. If that was the case I could offer helping with new adjustments. So my ways to contribute are limited, but I will do, what I can... :)

• hi. i seem to have created some maps, and others seem to have announced
      their creations here, since then, too.
      right now i dont feel like doing it, but if everything else fails, i can
      help you choose a way to publish your maps later
      It seems like maybe we could start some place to collect all the custom maps

btw, your english is perfectly understandable

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2015-07-14
    • Hello Onsemeliot,

My replies inline:

http://www.triggerrally.com/

Is the original game team in any way related to that project?

It's the lead developer's project. I don't think there were any questions
      or any clarification why the same name is used for both projects.

There have been some changes. I love the fact, that there is an editor and
      that the textures are displayed in much greater detail. The ability to
      place concrete objects like signs and arches are as well an improvement in
      my opinion.

On the other hand I clearly prefer the original game since it allows me to
      create maps in more freedom and the driving physics is much better.
      Obviously the (nowadays) low end graphics are a good thing for older
      systems with less graphic memory but somewhat disappointing for people who
      are used to the newest toys and games.

I also love Trigger Rally for being able to run it on low-end hardware. :)

I hope I can find enough time to finish my somewhat challenging tracks
      soon in order to share a new cup with all of you. What might be the best
      way to contribute them? (Unfortunately I'm not very technically skilled and
      fear it might be to hard to work with the SVN, but I think my level-design
      is quite nice.)

I hope you'll finish them! You can contribute them as patches, just make
      sure to state your license (GPL preferred as far as I know) and make note
      of 3rd party works used, if applicable. :)

For me designing maps would have been a less rough start if I have had
      known a more detailed guide for designing new maps. The linked tutorial on
      the home page was a valuable starting point, but it doesn't cover a lot of
      important things such as editing the map XML attributes:

http://qubodup.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/making-trigger-rally-maps-racing-tracks/

I'm glad it was helpful a bit at least. I never really understood the
      format, so I just tried out things until it did what I wanted it to do.

Even after heavy testing with most of the parameters I do not understand
      all of it completely. I could begin kind of a level design FAQ, if the
      project is still active and won't be shut down soon. Since I'm not a native
      speaker my descriptions may sound strange at times, but I should be able to
      explain basic facts...

Should I put something together for the sourceforge game page?

I'd be interested and I am one of the people who could upload your
      tutorial. Could you license it freely, for example under GFDL or CC-BY-SA
      3.0?

I love trigger rally. It's one of the best rally games I know. I am very
      happy it is free software. Otherwise I might have been unable to get
      through the last Trigger Cup map. I needed quite a few seconds more... Easy
      to adjust, if you look for it... ;)
      Luckily as well adjusting the aspect ratio for my screen was quite
      straight forward. Unfortunately I have no idea how C++ works. If that was
      the case I could offer helping with new adjustments. So my ways to
      contribute are limited, but I will do, what I can... :)

What do you think should be added?

Last edit: Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup) 2013-04-30
      • Onsemeliot
        Onsemeliot
        2013-04-17

Hi qubodup,

thank you for your replie. I was very glad to find your tutorial.

It's the lead developer's project. I don't think there were any questions or any clarification why the same name is used for both projects.

Oh. That's interessting. I can understand the idea to adapt it for making it accessible via browsers without the need for a specific system or plugin. Maybe I need to read more about it in order to fully understand the other changes.

I hope you'll finish them! You can contribute them as patches, just make
        sure to state your license (GPL preferred as far as I know) and make note
        of 3rd party works used, if applicable. :)

Just for testing I made an additional tree, but I couldn't figure out how to adapt it to be displayed in the propper proportions in comparison to the grass. At the moment it's the same size. That's somehow strange obviously. On the other hand the grass is much too large compared with the vehicles anyway.

I'll let you know as soon as I can provide more. (At the moment I'm quite buzy with work.)

I'd be interested and I am one of the people who could upload your
        tutorial. Could you license it freely, for example under GFDL or CC-BY-SA
        3.0?

Yes of course. Maybe we could work together to improve it after I made the first draft. :)

What do you think should be added?

I had no clear idea, but I can imagine there should be some developments if we want the game to stay interesting in future as well. A competition mode or improved keyboard steering could be useful. (It's hard to keep the car on track at the moment.)

I didn't get into the details how to add vehicles yet, but it would be nice to give players the possibility to adapt colors for instance...

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-04-21

Today I finished the first draft for the Trigger Rally map building XML-Guide. I still need to check my spelling and the language over all, but please have a look at it:

http://www.veganmania.at/div/tutorial/map-xml.htm

Obviously this shouldn't be the final path for it, but it's my working directory. Do you think we could put it on the trigger rally page and add other ressources to it as soon as we have them?

I wanted to make new screenshots from the game, but didn't find out where they are saved if I press f12...

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-05-02
  • landroni
    landroni
    2013-04-21

The FAQ looks very nice and useful. I didn't check the actual details, but maybe Iwan knows them better than I do.

When it's ready we could certainly put it online (or maybe even in the source).

As to F12, a wild guess, maybe in /home/user ?

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-04-21

Still no luck finding those screen shots. Maybe f12 wasn't the right key after all. I just red in the version history that in version 0.5.1 a new feature for making screen shots was added. I must have imagined reading that the relevant key is f12. Actually there is no key mentioned...

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-04-23
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-04-23

I have polished the language now. Obviously it would be reasonable to continue with explaining the rest of the XML files in the game folder. But since this is outside the scope of the map guide it isn't urgent.

The only other not completely self-evident XML file is the vehicle definition, which I myself don't understand yet...

• As for screenshots: According to src/trigger/main.cpp line 1038, F12 should be the right key.

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-01

Huh, now I found it: It is saved in a hidden subfolder called ".trigger" in the home/user folder...

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-05-02
  • landroni
    landroni
    2013-05-01

Iwan, maybe we should document this in Readme in the sources?

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-02

Now I've added some screenshots and the LGPL-Link as well. The screenshots have no practical use, but give the whole thing propably more appeal.

Maybe it would a useful project to merge qubodup's tutorial with this one in order to get one single source as map design reference. Afterwards it could be added to the official game page and/or the game itself as well.

• As for F12: I added the info about the screenshot location to the doc/README.txt.

As for merging: Tutorials and references are often separated resources. Having both on the site would be great but it might make sense to still separate them.

Feel free to take anything reference-like from the tutorial to the reference or rewrite the tutorial.

• landroni
    landroni
    2013-05-05

I also think it's OK to have them both, separately on the site.

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-05

My argument is only for convenience since getting used to one representation style and one way of organizing things can make volunteering easier. But it's no big deal. qubodub's tutorial worked fine for me anyway... :)

• representation style

Do you mean the look/css style of the website? Yes, let's have the same look. Let's have both on trigger-rally.sf.net .

Or do you mean the style of writing?

Or do you mean that there should be a single structure of teaching people to create content for Trigger? (By structure I mean for example: 2 paragraphs of introduction, 20 paragraphs of xml file reference and then 10 paragraphs of tutorials)

Last edit: Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup) 2013-05-05
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-05

I generally ment providing everything at one place in a single look and feel with a constant menu in the same place everywhere. Of cource it's good as well to adapt all contents in the proper way to get an overall knowledge base without overlapping or even conflicting information.

I wasn't referring to a specific writing style or structural guides for the text itself - even if I consider a rough basic guideline for such things as a good idea as well.