New game icon proposal

Onsemeliot
2013-05-02
2013-05-28
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-02

I designed a set of icons (different sizes) to be used with Trigger Rally. In my opinion the old image doesn't work very well in small sizes because its hard to recognize anything at all.

http://www.veganmania.at/div/tutorial/trigger-icons.zip

If you are courious (without wanting to download it) you can see the large version in the most recent version of my XML map guide as a decoration image. It's the red car with "TR >>>" on top:

http://www.veganmania.at/div/tutorial/map-xml.htm

Since I wasn't able to install Trigger Rally 0.6.0 I just use it without installing and I created a menu entry for the game executable by hand. Therefore even the old icon isn't present on my system. Unfortunately so far I as well was unable to store the icons the proper way because I can not access them in the main menu - even if I stored them like all the other available icons on my system as "/usr/share/icons/highcolor/x/apps/trigger.png" and "/usr/share/icons/gnome/x/apps/trigger.png".

The permissions are the same, the file size isn't larger and the svg options for the scalable versios are the same as well.

Do you like the icon set and do you want to implement it in the next game version?

Maybe you even have an idea what I am missing to make the icons available on my system... (I use debian squeeze with gnome 2.24.)

• I like the icon a lot!

As for licensing, is GPLv2 fine with you?

• landroni
    landroni
    2013-05-03

I think it's cool, too!

Quick question: Could you slightly amend the design to make the car look more racy? Maybe some more aggressive, less classical design elements?

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-03

is GPLv2 fine with you?

Yes, no problem there.

Could you slightly amend the design to make the car look more racy? Maybe some more aggressive, less classical design elements?

Yes, but that might take some time and the main reason for making it quite basic was the fact, that in most icon sizes it's hard to recognize any details at all. For sure the large version can be more detailed, but in the very small sizes there isn't a lot of alternatives...

• landroni
    landroni
    2013-05-03

OK. Let us know if you manage to come up with something else. Otherwise we will simply include this icon in our source.

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-04

I should have a new adaptation by end of this weekend and will post it here as soon as possible. When do you plan to release a new version of the game and what changes are planned for it?

• Wow, this fits much better!

It would be great to use this not only as the icon but also as the logo (probably for loading screens and menu backgrounds, we need to get rid of the current ones for license reasons anyway).

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-05

It's absolutely no problem to use the image in what ever way since the original is a scalable vector file. Just let me know what adaptations you need. I would be honored if you use this graphic in different ways.

But I'm not so sure if using the graphic as a menu background is a good choice since it has high contrasts. I would pick something less distracting as a background image.

If we can work out what possibilities we have, I could offer designing a fitting new menu interface as well.

• landroni
    landroni
    2013-05-05

Oh this sporty version is excellent! Quick question: What does "TR>>>" represent, and do we want to have it as part of the icon?

For the background image, we can simply darken the image to the point where it's not distracting. This is what we do now. We could also use it for the start/exit splash screens. Do you think we can adapt it to that?

What ideas do you have for the menu interface?

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-05

I would prefer using the car icon in color at one corner and drwing a low contrast landscape or texture as background for example.

It seems like I need to rethink "TR >>>". I thought it was obvious as program icon:
    "TR" for Trigger Rally and ">>>" as symbol for something like fast forward or as hint for klicking and starting the game.

Icons normally are squares, but the car isn't a square. Therefore I wanted to use the available space to indicate Trigger Rallys' name with its first letters. Your question shows me: this didn't work...

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-06

It hurts me to see distorted images. If we choose to use the graphic as a background image on different aspect ratios we defenitely should find a way do not scale images disproportional.

I think it would look much better if we arrange all elements in a way, that they don't overlap in a distracting way. I'm buzy right now, but I can design a new menu, if you would like to see my suggestion.

Can't we use an alpha channel/real transparence in Trigger Rally? (The icons can actually.) Therefore even if we can't have transparences in the game we should at least provide images with the propper background without the need to use black where we actually would want to use blue.

I know, that squares are usually used for getting an icon in the right proportions, but sice it is possible to use transparent backgrounds I didn't because it normally looks more finely tuned and integrated if we show the actual icon on the normal background without any unnecessery additions.

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-05-06
  • It hurts me to see distorted images.

Yes, in fact the 3d game view is distorted as well (I think 4:3 is the target aspect ratio and to all other rations the screen gets simply stretched). I don't think anybody likes it but also that nobody can do something about it right now. A simple solution would be to center the image, stretch it to the vertical size and fill the border with black, assuming the image has black background.
    Mockup: http://i.imgur.com/fI58zKW.png

Can't we use an alpha channel/real transparency in Trigger Rally?
    In-game elements use transparency (speed display etc.). There are no image elements in the game menu. I don't think anybody will be willing to spend time implementing a new menu gui system for the purpose of having graphics in the menu.

The background image is probably useless for this, as it's the same background for all menus but the menus have different item layouts.

...actual icon on the normal background without any unnecessery additions.

One could say the same about the "TR>>>". I haven't been keeping track of what game icons look like lately (I only know some iOS icons, because they are displayed online). In any case I love your vector art and I don't have a preference for whether it's just the car or with "TR>>>" or with "Trigger" or with "Trigger Rally"... :)

Last edit: Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup) 2013-05-06
  • Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-06

I thought "TR" might actually help understanding what the icon stands for. Obviously writing the full name would be much clearer. Since I wanted to have an Icon even useful at 16x16 pixels I didn't go for that option. But preferably Icons work without any text. The Icons for mobile apps are somewhat special because of the usual tiled presentation of all apps. As well those Icons are displayed larger by default. This gives artists more opportunities to create attractive icons but it limits the possible use cases as well.

A simple solution would be to center the image, stretch it to the vertical size and fill the border with black, assuming the image has black background.

This would only work for a specific screen resolution and would lead to the same problems on 4:3 screens instead of 16:10 and 16:9 screens.

At first I thought the game would support 4:3 only as well. But later I learned adapting the config file resolves this problem. At least on my old system the Trigger Rally menu as well as the game itself was shown without distortions on my 16:10 screen. Only the splash screen and background images remained distorted.

• landroni
    landroni
    2013-05-09

""TR" for Trigger Rally and ">>>" as symbol for something like fast forward or as hint for klicking and starting the game."

"TR" for Trigger Rally was intuitive for me, but I got lost at ">>>". Why not just use "Trigger"? It might just fit horizontally, and would not raise any questions.

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-09

Oh well, just "Trigger" is a good idea. :)

I used that on the nuber plate of the car, but didn't consider it on top of the icon for some reason. I will adapt the icons once more...

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-13

Ok, now I adapted the icons for carrying the whole word "Trigger" and optimized the small versions as well once more. If you look closely you can discover I reduced the details gradually for smaller icons in order to make even the smallest sizes recognizable:

http://www.veganmania.at/div/tutorial/trigger-icons3.zip

• landroni
    landroni
    2013-05-13

I think it's really nice. Iwan?

• Amazing work!

I put the icon as a favicon on the website ( trigger-rally.sf.net/favicon.ico )

I'd commit it. I would create a directory for these icons and would remove data/icon.png and change the paths to use data/icons/trigger-64.png .

Onsemeliot, what would you like to appear in the credits? Any combination of real name, nickname, email address and homepage url should be fine!

Also: can you provide either one svg for every different icon or create a layered svg? I don't think it is possible to create all the icons based on icon3/trigger.svg.

• landroni
    landroni
    2013-05-13

Please go ahead.

• Onsemeliot
    Onsemeliot
    2013-05-14

You're right. I made a special file including all sizes for adaptation purposes. Each layer is named after the resolution it was made for:

http://www.veganmania.at/div/tutorial/trigger-rally-icons.svg

For credits you can just use: "Onsemeliot".

• I finally committed the icons. I created a new directory. The icon file was apparently not referenced anywhere besides the data authors textfile.

I will add Onsemeliot's maps soon (I might need to extend the 24h schedule that I asked for in the other thread :) ). Then I'll start a thread to discuss the car texture trademark changes.