OpenJDK and Reports trouble (Fixed)

Help
2010-07-26
2013-02-18
  • I installed T-Plan Robot v2.0.5 on a Ubuntu 9.10 machine at work and the Reports where not completing correctly.

Problems i ran into:
    - Reports stays in Running mode. Doesn't Switch to failed nor completed at the end/exit of the script.
    - Currentstate.jpg is 0 bytes at all times.

Console gave the following error:
    Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found class com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageEncoder, but interface was expected at com.tplan.robot.scripting.commands.impl.ScreenshotCommand.saveJPEG(ScreenshotCommand.java:486)

I tried version v2.0.4 in my own environment and it worked, so i downgraded the new machine to v2.0.4, but it still had the same problems.

Seems i was using OpenJDK:
    java version "1.6.0_0"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.6.1) (6b16-1.6.1-3ubuntu1)
    OpenJDK Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

After i upgraded to the Sun/Oracle Java everything was working again:
    java version "1.6.0_20"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

Solution: Install Sun/Oracle Java version

Posting this for others that might have trouble with Reports while using this version of OpenJDK.

• Robert Pes
    Robert Pes
    2010-07-26

Robot uses the class com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageEncoder to save JPEG images with user defined quality (based on a value in user preferences). This is not possible with the standard ImageIO class.

As JPEGImageEncoder is undocumented and Sun internal; there's unfortunately no guarantee of a stable API. That is what happens in case of OpenJDK where the compatibility was broken. This affects not only reports but also any Screenshot command saving a JPEG.

I'll handle it as a bug and fix it in the code. If this error is detected, I will make it to default to the standard ImageIO class and save the JPEG without the option to apply custom JPEG quality.