MYSQL error - calculating paths to victory

Help
sksource
2011-03-21
2013-03-27
  • sksource
    sksource
    2011-03-21

I tried to run "php ./calculate_paths_to_victory.php" from the CLI and I'm getting a MYSQL error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'group by b.id' at line 1

Any ideas?

• Rob J
    Rob J
    2011-03-21

Are you running it from the right directory? I don't know if this matters. Just guessing.

• sksource
    sksource
    2011-03-21

Yea, from admin/

I'm assuming this is the query it's talking about:

$query = "SELECT b.id, b.name, count(*) c FROM `brackets` b,`possible_scores` p where p.bracket_id = b.id and p.rank <= " . $maxrank . " group by b.id";

Also, here's the version of mysql I'm running: mysql -version
    mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.49, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 6.1

• Botag
    Botag
    2011-03-21

Do all your brackets have valid IDs?

• sksource
    sksource
    2011-03-21

It appears so, sequential numbers.

• sksource
    sksource
    2011-03-22

Have you guys tested it?  I'm curious if it's just me or if others are having the same problem.  Also, what version of MySQL are you running?

• Botag
    Botag
    2011-03-22

I have two instances of it running and I haven't experienced that error. I'm running mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.91.

I wonder if it could be related to special characters in bracket names.

• sksource
    sksource
    2011-03-22

Besides A-Z 0-9, my bracket names have:

#
    '
    -
    !
    _
    ?

in them…

• John Holder
    John Holder
    2011-03-22

I'm on 5.0.45 with no issues.

• sksource
    sksource
    2011-03-23

I had it fwrite the query to STDOUT, and apparently the $maxrank variable isn't getting set?  Here's the output:

SELECT b.id, b.name, count(*) c FROM `brackets` b,`possible_scores` p where p.bracket_id = b.id and p.rank <=  group by b.id

So p.rank has no value being set.  I'm a novice with php at best, so any advice on how/where p.rank is supposed to get set or any other advice is greatly appreciated.

• sksource
    sksource
    2011-03-23

Also, I added some debugging to see what #maxScoreRanks is, as shown below:

for( $scoreRank=1; $scoreRank <= $maxScoreRanks; $scoreRank++ )
            {
                    updateProbabilities( $roundMap, $seedMap, $childGraph, $scoring, $master_data, $scoreRank, $db );
            }
            // Also, do last place calc...
            updateProbabilities( $roundMap, $seedMap, $childGraph, $scoring, $master_data, $numBrackets, $db );
            fwrite(STDOUT, "Score rank: $maxScoreRanks \n");
            eliminatecalc($db, $maxScoreRanks);

But it appears #maxScoreRanks doesn't have a value assigned to it… thoughts?

• Rob J
    Rob J
    2011-03-23

Ahh.

Check your admin/database.php file. It is probably out of date.

$maxScoreRanks is set in that file.

admin/database.php is not under source control. admin/database.php.tmp is under source control.

When you update your source, you need to manually copy and rename database.php.tmpl to database.php and reenter your authentication information.

• sksource
    sksource
    2011-03-23

That did it, thanks!