Is there any point w/ RPM installs?

Help
2004-10-20
2012-12-13
  • Richard Duran
    Richard Duran
    2004-10-20

Is there any point to installing the Tora and InstantClient RPMs to try to connect to a remote database? I haven't run across any clear examples of anyone getting this to work. How does one "add the oracle plugin" to Tora? Is this only possible by compiling using "--with-oracle-static" (or something to that effect?).

-richard (trying to get this working on Fedora)

• see:
      http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1126230&forum_id=52737

see the very last post by jedaustin

follow his steps exactly and it should work.  I've got it working on a Fedora Core 2 system, (remotely) connecting to an Oracle 9i  instance running on HP-UX.

You will need to come up with a sqlnet.ora file and a tnsnames.ora file

The one additional step I performed was removing a previous tora rpm with the command "rpm -ev tora", immediately prior to installing tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static

• Richard Duran
      Richard Duran
      2004-10-21

That works. Thank you.

What exactly is the difference between SourceForge-Tora built from tora-1.3.14.1-1static.src.rpm and Fedora-Tora built from tora-1.3.10-1.src.rpm (aside from the differences inherent to different versions)?

-richard

• I assume you're writing of the binary rpm and not the source (src) rpm.   (I am unaware of different source rpm's for static or dynamic installs).

Generally speaking, static rpms are statically linked, which is to say that the binary application file contains all the libraries necessary for the app to run.  This means that the app doesn't have to load libraries at runtime (i.e. load libraries dynamically).  It simplifies installation at the expense of large binaries.

• Richard Duran
      Richard Duran
      2004-10-21

I'm familiar with static vs dynamic linking, I'm just wondering why Tora works with Oracle only when built from a *static.src.rpm? What does that SRPM provide that a "non-static" SRPM doesn't?

-richard