Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Tora 2 unable to connect to Oracle 10

Help
2009-03-06
2012-12-13
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • I just installed Tora 2 and i am unable to connect to Oracle 10 database, i am choosing Oracle (Instant-Client) option, i enter the username/passcode and choose my database, (i have tried leaving hostname/port location blank and filled both). Ideally after i choose my database TOra should be able to pick up the information from TNSNames.ora file as its populating the database dropdown from that file. Now i have unchecked all checkboxes for SQL * Net, SYS OPER etc and am unable to connect. I can connect using TOra 1.3.22 svn. I am using winsows XP, can you tell what could be wrong??

• The "s" should be a "d".

• Sorry couldn't understand what "s" should be a "d"

• Am still unable to connect keep getting invalid connection identifier error? Can someone help

• greg landgraf
      greg landgraf
      2009-04-13

im having the same problem. the only way i can seem to connect is by creating a datasource and then connecting w/ odbc.

• Stephen Levine
      Stephen Levine
      2009-04-13

Try setting host to the server where the Oracle database resides.  Then enter the database instance name with domain name as your service name.

To get your service name, run the following query via SQLPlus:

select sys_context('USERENV', 'DB_NAME') || '.' ||
             sys_context('USERENV', 'DB_DOMAIN') service_name
        from dual
      /

Then use this service_name as your service name.  This worked for us.

sjl

• Thanks Steve but i am still getting the same error, i am specifying the service name in the databadse field after extracting the same using the query you have provided. The error i am getting is:

Unable to connect to the database
      ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified

• Stephen Levine
        Stephen Levine
        2009-04-22

Are you setting the host directly to your Oracle Server or to a proxy server of some sort?

I am using Oracle 10 instant client with TOra

sjl

• I am setting te host as the hostname for Oracle Server, i have verified that i can ping the hostname i am using and it is the same one i have defined in TNSNames.ora and using it i am able to connect using Tora 1.3.22svn but not with Tora 2.0

• Mike Johnson
      Mike Johnson
      2009-04-22

Why are you unchecking sqlnet? I don't believe the instant client will work without it. I may be wrong though...

• I have the *SQL Net checkbox checked, so i am selected the SQL Net option, Is there any other option i also need to select?

• Ricardo Ludwig
      Ricardo Ludwig
      2009-05-04

I'm using Debian AMD64  with Oracle 11g when I tried the connect to database.
      ORA-01034: ORACLE not available, and didn't find solution, but  I´m connecting with sqlplus.
      I tried all tips said here.

Regards,

• Ricardo Ludwig
      Ricardo Ludwig
      2009-05-04

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available, and didn't find solution, but  I´m connecting with sqlplus.

Regards,

• Ricardo Ludwig
      Ricardo Ludwig
      2009-05-04

Regards,

• Yup i can also connect using sqlplus but no luck with Tora so far, have no clue why Tora 2.0 doesn't connect while Tora 1.3.22 svn works just fine. Actually Tora 1.3.22 svn has crashign issues which are claimed to be fixed with Tora 2.0. If only i could connect :)

• Andrés Reyes
      Andrés Reyes
      2009-05-18

SOLUTION (Debian-Lenny64)
      You can connect to Oracle 10 from an Oracle11 client.

For TOra 2.0 (that uses Oracle 11), download InstantClient for Oracle11
      (http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/linuxx86_64soft.html)
      Just download this packages: Basic, SqlPlus, (Jdbc if you want)
      [For Debian or Ubuntu, transform RPM packages with the 'alien' utility].

Now, set ORACLE_HOME to <b>/usr/lib/oracle/11.1</b>
      This path has been created after install Oracle11-InstantClient packages.

Include <b>/usr/lib/oracle/11.1/client64/lib</b> in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH

And... open a console and type 'tora'     :-)

Don't forget to set a valid tnsnames.ora in /etc/oracle/tnsnames.ora

Good luck

::: Andrés

• Thanks actually i am using Tora on Windows XP and am trying to connect to Oracle 9i database

• Claudio Anelli
      Claudio Anelli
      2009-06-18

To connect to an oracle server from  Windows with  Tora 2.x  you can
      a) using "instant client method":   specify the IP of the oracle serve in the host field and service name (sid) in the database field
      b) or , set the envrionment TNS_ADMIN  to the path of the folder containg the tnsnames.ora  . use the ORACLE (TNS) connection provider option .   use the tnsname of your service in the database field
      c) or ,  set the ORACLE_HOME environment to the home folder of your oracle installation .  use the ORACLE (TNS) connection provider option .   use the tnsname of your service in the database field

I tested all of this with   MS Vista , tora 2.0.0  , Oracle XE 10.2.x  installed on my box and a remote oracle server

• You have mentioned, " use the ORACLE (TNS) connection provider option . use the tnsname of your service in the database field " i am using Tora 2.0 on windows XP and unable to see any such option. There is option for instant client, MySql and Post Gre sql??

• I solved the connectivity problem by downloading Oracle Instant Client 10 and extract its content inside TOra's installation folder.

Thanks Claudio Anelli!

• Rok Banko
    Rok Banko
    2009-11-05

set the **ORACLE_HOME environment variable** to the home folder of your oracle installation and then use ORACLE(TNS)

• I don't want to use TNS, I want to use Instant Client. How does one fill out the boxes correctly? Or does that simply not work? I don't like messing with my environment variables when there's a solution that doesn't require it.

• Thanks Rokx, setting ORACLE_HOME gave me the option of ORACLE(TNS) as the connection type and am able to connect using TOra 2.0 now

• Aalok Agrawal
    Aalok Agrawal
    2010-05-17

Mine Tora version is 2.1.2. And I am not able to connect to Oracle database. Getting “ORA-30354264″ error. I have set both the environment variable on windows machine.

• Got to work Tora 2.1.2 with Oracle. Just delete oci.dll from Tora directory.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)