Help
Ceri
2009-01-07
2012-12-13
  • Ceri
    Ceri
    2009-01-07

Hi,

I have just installed TOra 2.0 as I am hoping it will be a decent replacement for SQLDeveloper, but I cannot connect to any Oracle Databases.

I am running XP SP2. I installed TOra using tora-2.0-setup.exe

I have Oracle 10g Client installed (I have been unsing this for ages so I know this is working) and also I have installed (unpacked) the 11g Instant Client into to TOra directory, and setup my PATH as in the Instant Client Documentation.

When I try to connect to a database using the Oracle (Instant Client) connector I get the following message.

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

I am pretty sure the connection details are correct, as I use them with SQLDeveloper.  I am assuming that in the connection details where it asks for database this is the Oracle SID.  Is this correct?

I do not have an option the use the Oracle TNS connector..should I have one?

Can anyone help me fix this?

Thanks

Ceri

• ilanbe
      ilanbe
      2009-01-12

I have a similar problem. I'm using the  TOra-2.0-windows.zip  package.
      The connection works using Oracle SQLplus command line but not using TOra.

Can anyone help with that?

• Mohamed Patel
      Mohamed Patel
      2009-01-14

Yes I have the same problem. Please help...

• Mike Johnson
      Mike Johnson
      2009-01-14

Please use the 10.2 instant client with the Windows build, they are not major-version compatible.

Try the SERVICE_NAME value from tnsnames... Let me know if that works.

• Mike Johnson
        Mike Johnson
        2009-01-14

Er, sorry. Too fast on the submit button. You don't have a tns provider listed probably because you don't have ORACLE_HOME defined. You wouldn't want to use it anyhow.

• FatButtLarry
      FatButtLarry
      2009-02-11

Took me a while to get this too...

First, download Version 10.2.0.4 "Instant Client Package - Basic: All files required to run OCI, OCCI, and JDBC-OCI applications".  (Lite version may work too)

Here's a link although it might eventually stop working:
      http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html

Second, extract (or drag) the DLL files form the client to "C:\Program Files\TOra\"

Third, set up your client as follows:

Connection Provider:  Oracle (Instant Client)
      Username:  username
      Password:  ******
      Host:  10.1.1.1 (The ip or hostname of the server)
      Schema:  (leave blank for now)
      Port:  (leave at 1521)
      Database:  (get this from the SID = XXX value in your ORACLE_HOME, sometimes "c:\orant\NET80\ADMIN\")  You can probably guess this value easily.

This should save some people a couple hours!

-Tres

• Mohamed Patel
      Mohamed Patel
      2009-02-24

Hi

I tried the above but I get the error

Unable to connect to the database
      ORA-12514 TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

Can you help me out? Can I not somehow connect using the tnsnames file?

Thanks in advance.

• I also want to add that in my case Oracle gives error 12514 if I do not specify database.

• Hi

It took me about five annoying hours to figure out how to come around the 12514 message. I tried out several combinations of setting env-variables, installing instant-clients, tora-versions, exchanging dlls all to no success.

Finally the following worked for me on XP with tora 2.0, trying to connect against a remote oracle 11 db (I do not know whether all steps are really necessary):

- DL instant client 10.2.0.4, extract to somepath\ -
    - create somepath\network\admin
    - add tnsnames.ora with the values you get from you dba.
    mine looks like:
    `dbalias=
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dbhost)(PORT = dbhostport))
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SID = dbsid)
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
        )
      )`

- Add ORACLE_HOME = somepath\ as a env-var (e.g. as a user-variable)
    - Add TNS_ADMIN = somepath\  (not so sure whether neccesary)
    - Add sometpath\ to your path
    - Eventually add NLS_LANG as system-variable. See oracle documentation for details. Assumingly this one is neither needed.
    (e.g. NLS_LANG = GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8MSWIN1252)
    - Reboot (chaka!)
    - Install Tora 2.0 and run it

- Now you should be able to choose Oracle(TNS) as for connection provider and all DB_Aliases should be displayed under the database drop down.

- Choose your db, fill in username and pw information and hopefully connect succesfully to your db.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

• Remark:
    No need to create the directory somepath\network\admin
    just insert the tnsnames.ora into the somepath\ directory

• Rok Banko
    Rok Banko
    2009-11-05

steinhoe is right!

Add ORACLE_HOME to user variables and set the path to the oracle (instant) client directory. In my case it was:  

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\

(no need for instant client if you have oracle client)

Windows XP SP3, Tora 2, Oracle client 10.2.0.

: http://www.shrani.si/f/3n/u2/2A9zmDTz/oraclehome.jpg