Tora and Oracle Instant Client

Help
ace
2004-08-11
2012-12-13
  • ace
    ace
    2004-08-11

Can anyone that has successfully installed Tora using the Oracle Instant Client on Linux describe the steps they took to accomplish this? I installed the instant client software and can successfully connect to a remote Oracle 9 instance using sqlplus however I cannot get Tora to cooperate. I am not really sure which environment variables need to be set in order for Tora to work with the instant client.
    Any help is appreciated.

• Carey M. Drake
      Carey M. Drake
      2004-08-12

What platform are you on (Windows, Linux, etc)?

• Carey M. Drake
      Carey M. Drake
      2004-08-12

Sorry, I can't read sometimes...

Yes, I've gotten the InstantClient to work on Linux, however TOra seems less than stable with the 10g client libraries.

Steps I used:
      1. Install 10g InstantClient
      2. Add /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib/ to /etc/ld.so.conf (this is where the client shared libraries are installed)
      3. Run ldconfig to rebuild cache for ld.so
      4. Set TNS_ADMIN to directory where I keep sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora

Note: insted of 2 and 3, you could set LD_LIBRARY_PATH each time prior to starting TOra.

• ace
        ace
        2004-08-12

I've done this to no avail.

I had been setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib but I went ahead and tried adding it to /etc/ld.so.conf as well.

When I attempt a connection with TOra I get the error message "Unable to connect to database. Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12705." I figured I may need to set NLS_LANG so I  tried setting the following environment variables:
        export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN
        export NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICAN
        export LANG=en_US
        export LC_ALL=en_US

This did nothing as well. I still get the same message when attempting a connection.

I've also tried installing the 1.3.14.1 rpm and I get the message "No connection provider available. Must be missing plugins" (or something like that)

I'd really like to get this working so I no longer need Windows. (the only reason I still use Windows currently is for PL/SQL Developer)

• Carey M. Drake
          Carey M. Drake
          2004-08-12

Your setting of NLS_LANG doesn't look quite right. NLS_LANG is usually in a format like 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII'. You may also want to ensure that you don't have any other Oracle environment variables set referencing any non-10g Oracle Home (I  know you're working with the Instant Client, but I mention it just to be safe).

If you have a Metalink account, you might try the following document:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showNot?p_id=158654.1&p_font=

• ace
            ace
            2004-08-12

$ env | grep -i lan
            NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
            NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
            LANG=en_US

$ env | grep -i lc_all
            LC_ALL=en_US

$ env | grep -i ora
            LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib
            TNS_ADMIN=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client
            SQLPATH=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client
            ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client

That's every oracle related environment variable I have. I've changed TNS_LANG to several different values. Still no luck.
            I appreciate the help.

• ace
              ace
              2004-08-12

%s/TNS_LANG/NLS_LANG/g

• Carey M. Drake
                Carey M. Drake
                2004-08-12

I believe ORACLE_HOME should not be set for an instant client install.

• ace
                  ace
                  2004-08-12

If I don't set ORACLE_HOME then TOra doesn't find tnsnames.ora and thus can't fill the Database drop down list. Also TOra warns me three times when I start the program that ORACLE_HOME has not been set. If I don't set ORACLE_HOME how does TOra know where to find tnsnames.ora?

• ace
                    ace
                    2004-08-13

I finally got tora-alpha-1.3.14.1 to run with oracle instant client. The problem I was having was that tora couldn't find libclntsh.so. With oracle instant client this file is called libclntsh.so.10.1 so I simply renamed this file and tora was happy.

I appreciate your help Carey.

• Carey M. Drake
                      Carey M. Drake
                      2004-08-13

Good.

I built TOra myself against 10g using the Fedora spec file, so that's probably why I didn't have the problem.

Instead of renaming the library, you may want to make a softlink, incase anything is expecting the original name.

• I am unable to get TOra to recognize my Oracle installation, even following all the directions here.

Tora 1.3.14.1, debian package install on Libranet Linux

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib
      TNS_ADMIN=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client
      ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client

I have set ldconfig, set symbolic links and renamed file, But each time TOra will only show PostgresSQL as a connection option, never Oracle.

Is there a debug option I can use to see what TOra is doing when it starts up? I get no messages whatsoever.

• Carey M. Drake
        Carey M. Drake
        2004-08-30

I'm sure you've tried this already, but does sqlplus work?

• Anonymous
      2004-08-29

Hey, did you guys tried creating tables?

• Carey M. Drake
        Carey M. Drake
        2004-08-30

I've always created tables using the sql window... However, I tried using the Create window just a moment ago and received an error from 'toExtract'.

I think I've seen this error mentioned before, and IIRC, hpj is still working on implementing a few things in that arena.

C.

• JD Austin
      JD Austin
      2004-09-30

After many hours of playing around , trying to get Tora to work, I finally did it.
      And I'd have to say, although it isnt toad, its close enough :)
      There are some things I even like more about it than Toad.
      I had one heck of a time getting it to work though, I though I'd share how I got it to work
      to save others the time and aggravation :)

Note: Im running on Fedora Core 2.
      Tora can be obtained from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tora/
      Oracle instant client can be obtained from http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

I ended up using tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static.i686.rpm with the 10g instant client rpms.
      The other versions would install but just wouldnt work with the instant client.

To get it to work I added this to my .bash_profile:
      ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client; export ORACLE_HOME
      ORACLE_TERM=xterm; export ORACLE_TERM
      PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH; export PATH
      PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$PATH; export PATH
      CLASSPATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH; export CLASSPATH
      TNS_ADMIN=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/network/admin/; export TNS_ADMIN
      LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib:/lib:/usr/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
      NLS_LANG=AMERICAN; export NLS_LANG
      NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICAN; export NLS_LANGUAGE
      unset ORA_NLS33

Install the oracle instant client using rpm -ivh (I installed all three including sqlplus).

I created a network/admin directory in the /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client and copied the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files from another machine.
      Tested that sqlplus worked before installing tora.
      Added /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib:/lib:/usr/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig.
      Created symlink from libclntsh.so.10.1 to libclntsh.so ( ln -s libclntsh.so.10.1 libclntsh.so )
      Attempted to rpm -ivh tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static.i686.rpm  .. rpm doesn't know about the symlink I created.. so force it :)
      To get it to install: rpm --nodeps -ivh tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static.i686.rpm

Done.
      I searched all over the net but couldn't find enough information to get it to work (until I figured it out myself).

--
      JD Austin
      Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
      email: jd@twingeckos.com
      http://www.twingeckos.com
      phone/fax: 480.344.2640

• roobeast
      roobeast
      2004-11-30

I can confirm that JD Austin's instructions above work on fedora core 3.  You have to make sure you remove any old tora rpms before starting though.  I kept getting the same old "no connection provider" errors until I looked for installed versions of tora (rpm -q -a | grep tora) removed them (rpm -e ...) and then installed only the correct one ( rpm --nodeps -ivh tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static.i686.rpm)

Also note that tora ended up in /usr/X11R6/bin/tora which was not in my path.

This has got to be the third time I have wasted two hours or more getting tora to work.  It's a great program but really the install with oracle can be far from painless.