Tora and Oracle Instant Client

Help
JD Austin
2004-09-30
2012-12-13
  • JD Austin
    JD Austin
    2004-09-30

After many hours of playing around , trying to get Tora to work, I finally did it.
    And I'd have to say, although it isnt toad, its close enough :)
    There are some things I even like more about it than Toad.
    I had one heck of a time getting it to work though, I though I'd share how I got it to work
    to save others the time and aggravation :)

Note: Im running on Fedora Core 2.
    Tora can be obtained from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tora/
    Oracle instant client can be obtained from http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

I ended up using tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static.i686.rpm with the 10g instant client rpms.
    The other versions would install but just wouldnt work with the instant client.

To get it to work I added this to my .bash_profile:
    ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client; export ORACLE_HOME
    ORACLE_TERM=xterm; export ORACLE_TERM
    PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH; export PATH
    PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$PATH; export PATH
    CLASSPATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH; export CLASSPATH
    TNS_ADMIN=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/network/admin/; export TNS_ADMIN
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib:/lib:/usr/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    NLS_LANG=AMERICAN; export NLS_LANG
    NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICAN; export NLS_LANGUAGE
    unset ORA_NLS33

Install the oracle instant client using rpm -ivh (I installed all three including sqlplus).

I created a network/admin directory in the /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client and copied the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files from another machine.
    Tested that sqlplus worked before installing tora.
    Added /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib:/lib:/usr/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig.
    Created symlink from libclntsh.so.10.1 to libclntsh.so ( ln -s libclntsh.so.10.1 libclntsh.so )
    Attempted to rpm -ivh tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static.i686.rpm  .. rpm doesn't know about the symlink I created.. so force it :)
    To get it to install: rpm --nodeps -ivh tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static.i686.rpm

Done.
    I searched all over the net but couldn't find enough information to get it to work (until I figured it out myself).

--
    JD Austin
    Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
    email: jd@twingeckos.com
    http://www.twingeckos.com
    phone/fax: 480.344.2640

• roobeast
    roobeast
    2004-11-30

I can confirm that JD Austin's instructions above work on fedora core 3.  You have to make sure you remove any old tora rpms before starting though.  I kept getting the same old "no connection provider" errors until I looked for installed versions of tora (rpm -q -a | grep tora) removed them (rpm -e ...) and then installed only the correct one ( rpm --nodeps -ivh tora-alpha-1.3.14.1-1static.i686.rpm)

Also note that tora ended up in /usr/X11R6/bin/tora which was not in my path.

This has got to be the third time I have wasted two hours or more getting tora to work.  It's a great program but really the install with oracle can be far from painless.