Free (GPL) Windows version

Alex
2005-02-01
2012-12-13
  • Alex
    Alex
    2005-02-01

Why don't we create a free (GPL-licensed) Windows version, based on the Qt 3/Windows Free Edition (see http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/index.php\)

• AlexeyD
      AlexeyD
      2005-02-07

An excellent idea - has anybody tried it already?

If it would be possible then we can branch the TOra development in complete GPL'ed version and continue it's development which now seems to be stalled.

• Ben Gidley
        Ben Gidley
        2005-02-07

I did briefly try about a year ago under cygwin. However as TORA uses a custom build system (and I am not very good with MakeFiles) I could not get it to recognize the QT DLL's.

I have been meaning to try again inside VS.NET - as it it should be easier.

• AlexeyD
          AlexeyD
          2005-02-07

Also I probably will give it a try in mingw environment - no need for Cygwin runtime and makefiles can be used properly.

Anyway - I'll post the results of the experiment here (hopefully sooner rather than later ;-)

• Luke Driscoll
        Luke Driscoll
        2005-03-02

I managed to build this against the kde-cygwin.sf.net native windows qt using mingw.  I had to add the tora source directory as an include directory,
        and make these changes to the Makefile (after configure)
        #ORACLE_SHARED=-lclntsh
        ORACLE_SHARED=-lociw32 -loci -loramts

# Additional libraries to link with
        LIBS_GLOB=-lm -lpthread -lwsock32

Also I had change the for loops in totool.cpp to be:
        int pos = str.length() -1;
          for(;pos>=0&&str.at(pos)!='\\';pos--)
        instead of
        for (int pos = str.length() -1; pos....

I had to pexport/dlltool the oracle oci libraries.

It all compiled ok, and starts ok, but just hangs when I try to connect it to my db.  I'm using ora92

• AlexeyD
      AlexeyD
      2005-02-07

Makefiles are fine - i.e. it might get a little bit tricky adapting them to MSVC makefiles which are (as usual) different.

Then there may be also complications with compiling with different Oracle runtimes (OCI from Oracle 9i, 9i or 10g).

• Ben Gidley
      Ben Gidley
      2005-02-07

• AlexeyD
        AlexeyD
        2005-02-08

These are the excellent news. The only bad thing here is that release is scheduled in late Q2 of 2005 so quite a few months to wait.

Hence if the port to the QT3 Windows GPL'ed will be simple - I can't see any reasons why not doing it.

It  would be nice though if owner of TOra would have opened up sourceforge project for other developer - this way we don't have to branch.

• I think it's pretty sleezy that the front page for tora.sourceforge.net now redirects to a commercial product, making it even harder for people to get to the free build.

I see lots of talk here about forking, but nothing actually happening. Who is interested in actually starting up another sf project and forking tora? I will certainly be willing to contribute, as I use tora quite heavily... (Only feature missing that I see is a decent query bookmarking facility that doesn't auto-execute the query instead of just inserting into editor.)

• AlexeyD
            AlexeyD
            2005-02-15

I will do this as soon as I'll manage to get it build successfully on Windows. I briefly tried to do this with mingw but there were a couple of problems there. Namely, the currently ported version of QT is tergeted to MSVC compiler and the author of TOra did not provide any MSVC build files so I have to configure the build system somehow.

• Mike Johnson
              Mike Johnson
              2005-02-15

Well, I can't help you with Windows (or rather, I don't want to :-), but tora's build system has always irritated me.

If you guys think it'll be useful, I can whip up a build system with a proper ./configure. This would probably help in the porting to Windows, under Cygwin at least.

• Let's at least get the fork done, and get a new set of source tarballs/etc. up on the server.

It seems clear to me that we'll be able to do the windows release with a GPL'd Qt a few months down the road, and even the author can't revoke the license just because he took a job with a competitor.

There are a few people with patches to fix up known bugs hosting them elsewhere. Let's get them integrated into the new project.

We should be able to request that SF import a snapshot of the CVS repository for the existing project into a new project.

I'll volunteer to get the project submitted and created if no one else wants to. Who else will join up onto the project and try to get patches together at least for another unix release in the short term so we can make sure that the project doesn't outright die?

• Raj Thukral
                  Raj Thukral
                  2005-02-15

I'm willing to help in any way I can, including any project management / coordination if required..

I work for a remote dba company and I've managed to get the management behind tORA.  This should allow me to spend more time fixing bugs and adding features.  Of course the licence issue has to be cleared up, I'm only willing to work with the GPL.

• Mike Johnson
                  Mike Johnson
                  2005-02-15

Sure, I'll help. I haven't contributed to Tora before because one had to sign over copyrights. Now I'm free to help....

What do you think for a name (just a temporary one)? We probably don't want to use Tora or anything too similar to it.

aret - To reckon; to ascribe; to impute. Obs. --Chaucer.
                  arow - In a row, line, or rank; successively; in order. --Shak.

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"

I started with Tora backwards and these were the spelling suggestions. Apropos. :-)

• I wonder if we should ask the current owner if he'll hand over the project, or if we definately have to do a hostile fork...

• Henrik Johnson
                      Henrik Johnson
                      2005-02-15

See https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=2998186.

Also regarding a namechange. Anyone taking this source and not preserving the Quest Software copyright would violate the GPL and I wouldn't think Quest would take to kindly to it.

/Mauritz
                      Quest Software

• Absolutely... as long as it stay's GPL though, there is no conflict with either the copyright or the licensing. The name is a grey area that I don't think anyone has a definate answer on, which is why we're asking you.

• Mike Johnson
                        Mike Johnson
                        2005-02-15

That'll have to stay. And we'll also need to add add each author who touches it after you/Quest.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IWantCredit

• Technically, that's true even before now... Unless Henrik/Quest has a clear assignment of copyright for previous contributions by other users (I'm assuming there have been, maybe not), then technically they don't even own complete copyright either....

That's the main reason that the FSF is so strict about any of the official "GNU" projects and copyright assignment forms/etc. - so that they retain full and untarnished control over it.

Never really comes up during normal situations, but as soon as you start to get the lawyers involved everything gets very complicated.

• Henrik Johnson
                            Henrik Johnson
                            2005-02-15

Well, in that case I have actually been pretty meticulous. The reason being that there has for a long time been a commercial Tora version which required me to have copyright of the entire sourcecode (To be able to dual license it).

/Mauritz
                            Quest Software

• Raj Thukral
      Raj Thukral
      2005-02-15

Here's what Henrik has said about this earlier:

<<I'm pretty much waiting for the discussion on the mailing list to resolve this and when people there are in agreement I'll add you all as admins of the project.

/Henrik >>

unfortunately, the issue might lie here, as elucidated in another email :

<< I have sold the rights for TOra to Quest Software. I think the person you should talk to regarding any kind of licensing for this would be Lisa Waugh (lisa.waugh@quest.com). The 0.8 version of TOra is also distributed under the GPL which is incompatible with any of the commercial versions of Qt (Windows or Unix), specifically it's paragraph 3 (Since Qt/Windows is not open source and not a standard component of the OS).

/Henrik  >>

This seems to imply that a fork is necessary to maintain the GPL version.

• ebswift
      ebswift
      2005-03-22

The Windows mingW version works for me, but on two computers the font gets all messed up while trying to write SQL.  It's a good step though!

• Ivan Brezina
        Ivan Brezina
        2005-03-22

I see similar problem under debian testing.  Under debian unstable syntax highlighting works fine. Maybe that this problem is related to font metrics and antialiasing. QT thinks, that blue letters are wider that black ones.

Windows version has same "bug" as qt only version under linux.
        I maintain database with
        approx. 30000 accounts. Every Opening/moving/closing widows with tools(worksheet,browser,..)
        takes about 2mins to recalculate widget sizes. If you compile tora with kde support
        or if you connect to database with few objects(users) tora works fine.

Ivan

• ActionMan
      ActionMan
      2005-03-30

I had the same problem as ebswift. Solved it by turning of the syntax highlighting in preferences/editor settings. But there still other bugs that makes it impossible to use.

Christian