Is Tora here to stay & what's up w/ licensing

Joe H.
2005-07-07
2012-12-13
  • Joe H.
    Joe H.
    2005-07-07

You can say Im new to Tora. I just did a search for a new Database Client and came across Tora. This is because of the recent shift in Free Toad. It seems that Free Toad us been updated after the model of the commercial Toad, but has some limitations imposed for the free version. So, it is time for me to move on. Ive been using SQuirreL, but have found it wanting for basic features.

My question is, Whats up with Tora? Is it here to stay? I cant decipher the forum comments about Licensing and issues with Quest. Is Tora going to be shut down at some point? I also see a readme file in the source folders that reads, This program is NOT FREE SOFTWARE although you are allowed to use it free of charge outside work. You are also allowed to evaluate the software at your work for no more than 30 days from the initial installation.

Whats that all about? Yes I want to use this at work. If I had the money to buy a good sql tool, I would. Im not in the DBA group and cant justify the cost.

Lastly, Im not good at compiling from source. Is there any instruction on how to do this? I know, Im a sissy. Its just Im not a real developer and find it so easy to download the binary version.

• Mike Johnson
      Mike Johnson
      2005-07-11

Yes, tora is here to stay. That readme should be removed... To compile from source, read the INSTALL file.