Topo 5.1.0 full didn't ask for 2nd CD

2005-01-05
2013-06-05
  • Andrew Heil
    Andrew Heil
    2005-01-05

Tried installing TopologiLinux 5.1.0 last night, in "boot from GRUB" mode (not coLinux). Started the install using the "Install Topologilinux (only once for installation)" entry in GRUB, with the first CD in the drive. All went well, but when the first CD was done, it didn't ask for the second one, it spit a couple of error messages out and ejected the CD and went on to setting a root password.

("It spit a couple of error messages out" isn't terribly helpful, but I didn't write them down. Something about looking for a file that wasn't there.)

No, it wasn't a bad burn. MD5s check OK.

Anyway, the new GRUB looks good, although I have a request: Instead of burying the GRUB files (and coLinux too, I assume) in /topologilinux/files/tlinux.dat on the CD, please package them in a useable format.

• Majordidge
      Majordidge
      2005-01-07

I had the same experience too with 5.1 in native linux mode. Not tried an install of it using colinux yet.

I assume if the worst come to the worst I could use the 5.0 discs to load the packages against the new colinux/grub bootmanager.

What about using 5.0 CD1 and 5.1 CD - any thoughts?

• langecom
      langecom
      2005-01-07

When I did Topo 5.0 installation, only packages in a were installed.

After the boot, I logged on as root to install all other packages by using Installpkg. Installation was very smooth.

You may try this on 5.1.0

Cheers,
      Richard

• Andrew Heil
      Andrew Heil
      2005-01-07

Everything on CD 1 installed OK (packages "a" through "xap"). After rebooting, and before I ran "setup", I mounted CD 2 and (as recommended in other threads) used "installpkg" to install the GNOME and KDE packages. Then I ran "setup" and it works fine.

(Now to see if that #@$%! proprietary driver for the Samsung multi-function printer will work. If so, I'm installing Slackware!)

• Majordidge
      Majordidge
      2005-01-07

Further to my post above - the install worked in colinux mode, ie successfully switched from CD1 to CD2. So the problem only seems to occur if you try the install in native linux mode.

• Tobias
      Tobias
      2005-01-10

Sounds strange.. when I install it it asks for cd2.. note that cd2 will only be required if you selected [g]nome and [k]de and (kde languages)... Have you tested it in both colinuxmode and "real" mode ?