I have users who have been using tkcvs to access svn via svn+ssh for a couple of years. Since the Fedora 13 upgrades and subsequent upgrade of tkcvs, they complain that it's unusably slow when browsing the repository. The only thing I've found online is a suggestion to add cvscfg(cvslock) false in the .tkcvs file, that had no affect. Would appreciate any tips, or my users will be moving over to rabbitcvs, since they really can't use this product as is.
What version of tkcvs is Fedora 13 using?
If you download the latest tkcvs 8.2.2 is it any faster? There's a fix for which the log message is "limit the inital svn log -g to one rev to save time" which may help.
Help -> About TkCVS just says 8.2
# rpm -qa 'tkcvs*'
How do I apply the fix you describe above? Or is that included in 8.2.2?
I've installed 8.2.2, since it appears that the 8.2-x doesn't indicate an actual point release, but just a repackaging of the Fedora rpm. Will check with my test user.
Ah, that's 2 releases behind. 8.2 was released in November 2008. The speed improvements are all in 8.2.2 (May 2010) so you can just download that one.
To test it before you uninstall the other one, you can do something like this:
setenv TCLROOT /usr/local/lib/tkcvs
alias tkcvs $TCLROOT/tkcvs.tcl
The log diagram is always going to be almost intolerably slow, and it's worse since we have to check for the mergeinfo property in the newer versions of svn where it's available. There was a speed tweak for that in 8.2.2 too, but I don't know how much it helps.