please help!!!

Help
2006-04-28
2013-05-08
  • Hello!

I have a big problem with timidity under windows (latest timdity version). Please help me!
    I use a GM SF2 file as patch. I try to play a MIDI file with drums at MIDI program no 40 (Brush). But timidity always plays drum program no 0 (standard) instead. Same occurs for other drum programs other than 0. I checked with other SF2 players and same soundfont and they all do it well. Also changing the soundfont does not help, same result.

What am I doing wrong? Please be so kind to help, I'm desperately searching a solution.

Thank you very much!

Peace
    Friend

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-05

Hello,

I have the same problem with the latest versions of twsynth and with the latest version of timidity++. I use the SGM V 2.01 soundfont.
    I hope anyone can help me.

Here a few information on my system:
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ on an ASUS board.
    SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic
    Windows XP SP 2

• SATO Kentaro
    SATO Kentaro
    2010-09-11

I've got a similar report privately.
    If someone can provide me a SMF file to test, it will be easier.

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-11

I always use the Allround.mid to test. Somewhere at 1:00 minute playtime it should change to a "Classic" drumset and around 1:36 it should change to a "Brush" drumset.

I don't know how to upload a file here so here is a link to the site where i found it:
    http://www.papelmedia.de/english/mp3.htm

Rightclick on the left Play-button in the "Allround" row and download the file.

• SATO Kentaro
    SATO Kentaro
    2010-09-12

Thank you for the reply schubacca.
    Confirmed the problem near 1:00, and fixed it.

The issue around 1:36 may not be a TiMidity++'s bug as the soundfont have no preset 41 of bank 128 (drumset).
    But please report again if you believe it is.

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-12

Unfortunately the new Timidity version didn't fix the problem (at least on my PC).

Okay, the issue at 1:36 was not even there. I just thought there was a change because it sounded different but now I've seen that this part of the song also used the Orchestra drumset.

But I still have the problem that starts around 1:00. It doesn't change to the Orchestra drumset, it stays with the Standard drumset.
    With the synthesizer of my soundcard the song sounds right (except for missing effects and a few other issues, that's why I want to use timidity).

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-12

Okay, Timidity (timw32g.exe) now changes the drumsets. But when I use twsyng.exe it works only halfway. When I play a midi file the first time timidity doesn't change the drumsets. But when I start the same track again it works. I have to do that for every file I want to play.
    I use midi yoke as MIDI IN Device and after I noticed the new problem I tested LoopBe1, but that didn't help.

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-13

Oh and after all there is a change at 1:36 and Timidity works fine there with trying and failing to load the wanted drumset. What I said before is because the syntesizer of my sound card stays with the last used set when it couldn't load the one wanted, and in this case it sounded just right.

• SATO Kentaro
    SATO Kentaro
    2010-09-13

But when I use twsyng.exe it works only halfway. When I play a midi file the first time timidity doesn't change the drumsets. But when I start the same track again it works. I have to do that for every file I want to play.

I'm afraid I have no idea of synth modes field.
    Maybe the difference of the way to load instruments…preloadable and not?
    I might step though the code, but skeishi-san would do better.

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-13

But then shouldn't the issue appear with other instruments apart from drumsets too?

• SATO Kentaro
    SATO Kentaro
    2010-09-14

Oh yes.
    I'll see it on weekends. Better not expect much.

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-14

Hmm. In case you can't find the source of the problem, maybe there is a workaround.
    I thought of a way to (pre)load all drumsets. And if not through a function in the program, then maybe with a midi file that plays all sounds from all drumsets in a row, very fast and with minimum volume. The only question is, how long would such a midi file be?

• SATO Kentaro
    SATO Kentaro
    2010-09-18

OK I found it.
    The fix will come later on, as there was a bug in the previous release to fix,
    there can be more to fix, and I don't like to fight against CVS.

• SATO Kentaro
    SATO Kentaro
    2010-09-19

cvs20100919 released.

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-19

Ok, now it works. Thank you very much for resolving this issue.
    But after a few tests I noticed another issue (only with twsyng). Effect settings from one track remain constant in the next track (at least until the first change of these settings in this "next" track). In the course of this I noticed that the short pause between two tracks when played with timw32g is missing with twsyng and at the same moment the console often shows no "x memory blocks are free".

• SATO Kentaro
    SATO Kentaro
    2010-09-20

Your many try to narrow the symptom down helped.

after a few tests I noticed another issue (only with twsyng). Effect settings from one track remain constant in the next track (at least until the first change of these settings in this "next" track).

The word track indicates song? More directly file, not internal representation inside SMF file?
    If so, and the latter file doesn't have MIDI resets ahead, it is the right behavior.
    Read this: http://www.tunesmithy.connectfree.co.uk/reset_tuning_details.htm (skip Upgrade section)

the short pause between two tracks when played with timw32g is missing with twsyng

twsyng is a virtual MIDI device that just play the received MIDI signals accordingly.
    It has no perceptions of files.

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-20

Mainly I want to use Timidity for old games. So unfortunately the workaround with the "reset midi file" doesn't work for me.

Other synthesizers like the one of my soundcard, a (not properly working) Yamaha software synthesizer and the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth don't have that problem. So there must be some kind of a reset. But it seems that it is neither in the songs, nor in the player.
    Is it the driver that makes the difference? Twsynth once had one I think, but that one didn't work on my PC. It never showed up in the list in Sounds and Audio Devices if I remember rightly.

• SATO Kentaro
    SATO Kentaro
    2010-09-24

I don't think MS Synth supports so many effects though.
    If the reset sysex is sent and is ignored by twsynth for some reason, it probably will be shown on console with verbosity level 2.

• schubacca
    schubacca
    2010-09-28

Only sometimes. It works with some songs like those from the website of which I posted the link before. But with most other songs the console only shows that new instruments have been loaded, no error message and no "x memory blocks are free".