From: Eric Bresie <ebresie@us...> - 2001-02-15 23:18:14
Hey Guys..based on a past IRC chat...a proposal for the agenda was
developed. This is subject to change, but it is a possible starting point.
I have also included the Design Strategy and Conceptual Design suggestion.
For the complete content see
The order I am sure is also subject to change...Cheers
Developer Meeting Agenda
(1) Welcomes, Greets (estimated 2 hours)
(2) Setup up systems (network, cameras,etc) (estimated 12 hours)
(3) Overview of 3Dsia conceptual design (anywhere from a 1/2 hour to 9
* Reference to past design work
- Initial Design on 3Dsia Page (
- Breezy's Collected Design content (
- recent Conceptual design suggestion
- Assorted Interpretatations with each providing pros and cons
(4) Compare conceptual components to existing stuff (ODB, RMC, OGL)
(estimated end of meeting before this)
(5) Overview of RMC
- example programs
(6) Overview of Odb
- example programs
(7) Identify similar functionality between both
(8) Identify what is different
(9) Implementation Issues
(10) Overview of Scripting Language Bindings
* Python with examples if available
* Perl with examples if available
(11) Identify what is still needed
(12) Locally, develope new source tree (this was seen as unlikely to happen;
or on the way back; who??)
(13) Include existing components into local source tree..(external projects
should not be part of the tree)
A suggestion of development was made to do the following:
(1) Identify what a user will be doing with the 3Dsia system, or the user's
(2) Based on the users requirement, identify what kind of conceptual
functionality is needed
(3) From that conceptual functionality we can identify the components.
(4) From the components we can identify a high level design for each with
the necessary interfaces (not implemented, just interfaces)
(5) Identify tasks involved in each component development.
(6) Distributed the tasks among developers
(7) Make sure the functional components allow for extendability.
(8) The design of the framework should allow for the extendability to be
Most of these basic actions have been done in one form or another but the
need to re-emphasized the basics ever now and then is a good thing.
Usage of ODB and RMC was stressed as a necessity, since they fit so well
into the concepts and provide much of the functionality.
Conceptual Design Discussion
A basic concept of the project was mention as follows:
"We want to develope a frame work for developing 3D based applications. It
will allow the user to visualize data, it will maintain the environment, it
will allow the user to navigate the environment, it will allow the user to
manipulate the environment, it will allow the user to simulate an
environment, it will allow applications to provide data which will be
visualized, the environment will be networkable, so that the environment can
be maintained in a distributed nature. The frame work will be modularized
for ease of development."
From this, the following functional areas were defined:
Visualization/Presentation (how the data is represented; this may allow
Environment maintainence (dynamic content (output from applications),
consistant content (permanent or items that will remain after an individual
User Output (part of Presentation though)
The Visualization/Presentation item, was questioned. It was seen as being up
to the user as to how things are presented. is not our concern as well..
(the _how_ i mean) the how is defined by the