New version won't open

Ric Cruz
2009-10-02
2012-12-10
  • Ric Cruz
    Ric Cruz
    2009-10-02

I was glad to see a new version available, since I wasn't able to fix the problem with exporting the notes. But even if the installation seems to go flawlessly, the new version will not open. The icon shows and bounces a few times and then simply disappears. I'm running Java 5.0 on Mac OSX 10.5.8. Am I doing something wrong? Is this happening to other people? Thanks in advance.

• Erik Norvelle
    Erik Norvelle
    2009-10-07

Howdy Ricardo,

The Mac OS X application package for TextCite requires Java 1.6, in order to display a splash screen (which it doesn't always do).  You can either switch your default JRE to 1.6, or you can download the Executable Jar file, which will run under 1.5.

Cheers,
    Erik

• Pedro
    Pedro
    2010-03-25

Hello!
    I upgraded my laptop to Mac OSX 10.5.8 and I believe I'm running Java 6.0… and after downloading Textcite 1.4 it won't open… what to do?

• Erik Norvelle
    Erik Norvelle
    2010-03-25

Try the following.  Attempt to start TextCite.  When the icon stops bouncing, go to the System Profiler (Apple Menu | About this Mac | More info).  Click on Logs (towards the bottom of the left column) and click on "system.log".  Scroll all the way to the bottom.  You should find some lines labeled with "org.norvelle.textcite" or else Textcite.app.  Copy those lines and post them in a bug report (available from this website by clicking Support, scrolling down to Bug Reports, clicking that link and filling out the form).  If that doesn't work, post the log entries here in this forum thread.

Cheers,
    Erik

• Pedro
    Pedro
    2010-03-28

hello Erik (thank's for your reply)

…well I wasn't lucky with your sugestion: nothing shows on system.log believe me. The thing is: the Textcite icon doesn't even bounce. I click on the app, it "jumps out" but then nothing shows on the dock or anywhere.

looking forward,
    Pedro

• Pedro
    Pedro
    2010-03-28

Hello again Erik,

I'm commin' back just to say that after reading other threads I installed the Textcite Tiger version and I got back my citations! :-)
    …anyway I believe that there will be good reasons to run version 1.4, so I'll be waiting for that opportunity.

cheers,
    Pedro