Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

All my citations disappeared

MEHJG
2009-06-30
2012-12-10
  • MEHJG
    MEHJG
    2009-06-30

I just hit Command-N by mistake (to make a new citation - for some reason my reflexes responded that way) and the program asked me if I wanted to save the current citebook.  Realizing my error, I clicked "yes", to save my most recent additions, and instead of making a new empty citebook, it wiped out all my references and saved the empty file over my older file. So, all my citations are gone!  I went to the preferences to be sure I had it set to save backups, and although the line "Save backup each time the CiteBook is saved?" appears, there is no checkbox visible (either checked or unchecked) and I can't find the backup on the hard drive. I have a backup from a few days ago (thanks to Time Machine), but it is 1600 miles away - I'm away from home and was planning on spending these days of peace and quiet USING MY CITATIONS to work on my doctorate...  So I guess this is a bug report and a question: is there any other way to get back my citations without using the backup file half a continent away?

• MEHJG
      MEHJG
      2009-06-30

Oh, and by the way... any progress on an UNDO function?

• Erik Norvelle
      Erik Norvelle
      2009-07-01

Dear MEHJG,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this problem; there's little I hate more than losing a day or more of work.  I've worked hard to make sure TextCite doesn't lose data, and in particular, I made the backup function to be "on" by default, so that there *should* be at least three backups ".bcb" files hanging around.

I'm running TextCite on OS X 10.5.7, with Java 1.6 (I've also tried it under 1.5) and I don't have this issue... my .bcb files are up to date as of yesterday.

Try locating the .bcb files in the same directory as your main .cb file, using Finder. 

If there aren't any backup files, that means that something weird is going on... I've never seen this issue before.  Please create a bug report (under Tracker - Bugs), if in fact the backups are missing.  It might have something to do with a corrupt preferences file.  Try searching your ~/Library/Preferences folder for "org.norvelle.textcite.plist", and attach this file to the bug report.

Unfortunately, if there aren't any backup files around, there's nothing much to be done until you get back from your trip.

As for the Undo function, that's a difficult issue that requires implementing some serious programming... which means it won't get done until after my thesis is done (hopefully this winter!).

I'll create a tracker item for changing Command-N so that it creates a new citation and not a new Citebook.

-Erik

• MEHJG
      MEHJG
      2009-07-01

Thank you for the quick response, Erik.  I checked the preferences file, and backups are off (maybe I turned it off a while ago - the last backup file I found was from 2007), but I can't turn them back on from within the program (see my bug report on this issue).  Can I turn them on by manually editing the preferences file, and changing "false" to "true" for "backups.perform"?

Maybe Command-shift-N would be an alternative for "new CiteBook", changing Command-N to "new citation" as you mention above.

I'll pray that you get your doctorate done soon... and I'll try to do it with purity of intention, not just so you can dedicate more time to the program.

-Fr Matthew

• Erik Norvelle
        Erik Norvelle
        2009-07-01

Dear Fr. Matthew,

Thanks for your prayers!  They are always needed...

You can indeed turn backups on by editing the preferences file as you mentioned.  You can also do so with the OS X Preferences Editor, which is the associated program to open .plist files.  I generally use this program to make sure I don't accidentally screw up the file format.

Hopefully I can fix some of the more outstanding issues during San Fermines (I'm in Pamplona), since I won't be doing much work on the thesis during those days.

Un abrazo
        Erik

• MEHJG
      MEHJG
      2009-07-04

Dear Erik,

Thank you very much! Any work you can do on this is much appreciated. It really is a very helpful program!

Enjoy the San Fermines; that will have to substitute your 4th of July celebrations, I suppose. Don't get run over by any bulls. We need you in one piece!

Con una bendición,
      Fr Matthew

• Erik Norvelle
      Erik Norvelle
      2009-09-11

The Cmd-N problem has been fixed in version 1.4 (upcoming in about a week or so).

Cheers,
      Erik

• MEHJG
        MEHJG
        2009-09-11

Benedicamus Domino! And thank you, Erik.
        God bless!
        Fr Matthew