Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Some suggestions

2010-05-20
2012-10-17
  • Denis Bitouzé
    Denis Bitouzé
    2010-05-20

Hello again,

since 10 years now, I give LaTeX courses for beginners (mostly students and
    teachers). I used to advice Texmaker as a LaTeX editor because it was the only
    one I knew that was really simple for newbies and cross-platform (I personaly
    use Emacs): I will now advise TexMakerX!

I had some suggestions about TexMaker that come from my experiences and
    TexMakerX has already solved most of them :) Nevertheless, IMHO, there remains
    few points I wanted let you know:

1. Underlining is not advised in typography so maybe the underline button should provide \emph instead of \underline command. OK, this is a rather radical treatment ;) but at least this command should not be so easily reachable.

2. The eqnarray environment is not advised (see l2tabu package: http://tug.ctan.org/pkg/l2tabu) so maybe this environment should be removed.

3. In the French interface, shortcuts for "Outils" and "Options" (Alt+O) are the same. Same problem for "Assistants" and "Affichage" (Alt+A).

4. It could be nice that not only submenus can be reached by shortcuts: at this time, menu entries cannot be reached by shortcuts.

5. A \newcommand entry is missing in "LaTeX" menu.

6. About graphics and figures, it could be nice to provide \includegraphics and 'figure' environment together in a dialog box "Insert a figure" with, by default, "float" option enabled and, hence, centering (\centering) option available and enabled, caption and label fields available. If the user disables the "float" option in order to insert a non floating graphic, the previous fields and options should be disabled. This is in the spirit of what provides TeXnicCenter...

7. The submenu LaTeX -> Environments looks rather odd to me as some of the environments in it are not connected.

Best regards.

• i am not sure about 1&2 since i am not a fan of patronising a user

item 3) what would rename the menus or just try to use a different short key ?

unfortunately i don't get the meaning of your item 4.

5, don't know. If someone uses that command, he probably rather uses command
    completion

6, okay, that i will implement

7, work fine for me. What exactly bothers you ?

jan

• Denis Bitouzé
    Denis Bitouzé
    2010-05-21

i am not sure about 1&2 since i am not a fan of patronising a user

OK, I can understand: underlining is so often used that don't provide it could
    be confusing for newbies (sigh :) But eqnarray could easily be replaced by a
    recommended environment, as amsmath's align (that is provided).

item 3) what would rename the menus or just try to use a different short key
    ?

Do you mean that I could do it? I didn't see how but maybe I could manage. But
    I essentially have newbies in mind.

unfortunately i don't get the meaning of your item 4.

I mean that, with underlined characters, for instance "Environments" submenu
    of "Latex" (BTW shouldn't it be "LaTeX"?) menu may be reached with shortcut
    Alt+L+E. But it could be nice if for instance the "\maketitle" entry of the
    "LaTeX" menu would be also reachable with a shortcut, for example Alt+L+K by
    underlining the "k" character of "\maketitle".

5, don't know. If someone uses that command, he probably rather uses command
    completion

OK but \newcommand is a rather often used command, doesn't it?

6, okay, that i will implement

Great! Thanks!

7, work fine for me. What exactly bothers you ?

I just wanted to say that, apart the fact that they are environments, "table"
    and "figure" for instance have nothing to do with other environments of this
    submenu, whereas they both are floating objects. So, IMHO, they should be in a
    separated submenu of "LaTeX" menu, for instance called "Floats".

Denis.

• 3) i meant that you just give me a suggestion.
    To change it your self you need to change the translation file by using
    qlinguist ...

• Denis Bitouzé
    Denis Bitouzé
    2010-05-21

3) i meant that you just give me a suggestion.

Yes, it was exactly the case :) I suggest to try to use a different short
    keys, for instance:

Alt+O for "Outils" and Alt+T for "Options"

Alt+A for "Assistants" and Alt+C for "Affichage".

To change it your self you need to change the translation file by using
    qlinguist ...

Unfortunately, I actually have no time to learn Qt now. Maybe I could help you
    more significantly later (in September).

• okay, item 3 is solved in 927