Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Black frame around closing brackets

Lukas
2013-10-10
2013-10-10
  • Lukas
    Lukas
    2013-10-10

I like the feature very much, that an open bracket is autmatically completed by an closing bracket which reduces the mistakes of missing closing brackets a lot. But when I open an bracket the closing bracket remains in a black frame unit I overwrite it with an explicit closing bracket. This frame remains even if i compile the document, which means that the closing bracket is interpreted correctly.

I would expect the following behavior: If I open an bracket, write some stuff within the brackets its okay that the black frame remains. But as soon as I move the cursor outside the brackets, the frame should disappear and write the closing brackets. Otherwise my document might get full of framed closing brackets which disappear only by overwriting them explicitly which is not needed to compile the document and reduces my productivity. What do you think about that suggestion?

• Tim Hoffmann
    Tim Hoffmann
    2013-10-10

The black frame is a placeholder. This is currently needed in the backet autocompletion for detecting the closing bracket so that you can overwrite it. Otherwise autocompletion of parentheses would interfere with the normal typing flow due to the inserted extra brackets and it's important that normal typing flow always works.

Your suggestion is reasonable, but a bit hard to implement, because there is no move-outside-the-brackets event. So we'd have to check with all operations that possibly do this.

For the moment you have the following options:

• Deactivate Autocomplete Parentheses in Options -> Advanced Editor -> Special Options
    • Manually remove the Placeholders: Idefix -> Remove Placeholders (Ctrl + Shift + K) from time to time.