TeXnicCenter allows you to customize nearly every aspect of the graphical user
interface (GUI). To customize the user interface of TeXnicCenter select in the
:menuselection:`Tools --> Customize...` This will open the
To customize commands which are available on several toolbars and menus open the
:dialog:`Customization` dialog and select the :tab:`Commands` tab.
When this page is active you can simply drag & drop commands from one menu to
another, from one toolbar to another, from a toolbar to a menu and vice versa.
Further on, you can drag & drop commands, not already available on the toolbars
or the menus from the :control:`Commands` list on the dialog page.
You can also change the text and/or the image of menu items and toolbar buttons.
Simply select a menu item or a button, right click on it and choose button
The controls of the page are having the following meaning:
- Choose the category of commands to display in the list :control:`Commands`.
- Commands available for the selected categorie. You can drag & drop the
commands listed here to the toolbars and menus.
- A short description of the currently selected command in the list :control:`Commands`.
Customizing keyboard shortcuts
TeXnicCenter allows you to customize the key combinations (shortcuts), necessary
to invoke a command without using the mouse.
To customize the shortcuts, open the dialog Customization and select the tab
The meanings of the controls are:
- The category of the commands to display in the list :control:`Commands`.
- Commands available for the currently selected category. Select a command here
to specify a shortcut for it.
- A short description of the selected command.
- Set Accelerator for
- Specifies the menu, for which to change the shortcuts. Has to be
- Current Keys
- List of shortcuts currently assigned to the command selected in the list
- Press new Shortcut Key
- Press the key combination here, you would like to assign to the selected
- Add the shortcut shown in the field :control:`Press new Shortcut Key` to the
list of shortcuts for the selected command.
- Remove the shortcut selected in the list :control:`Current Keys` from the list
of shortcuts for the selected command.
- Reset All
- Reset all shortcuts to the default. All the changes that have been made to the
shortcuts since the installation of TeXnicCenter will be lost.
Customizing the look and feel
TeXnicCenter allows you to widely customize the look and feel of the graphical
user interface including downloadable skins.
To customize the look & feel open the :dialog:`Customization` dialog and select
the :tab:`Options` tab.
The controls of the page are having the following meanings:
- Show ScreenTips on toolbars
- If this option is enabled, a small yellow window (ScreenTips) with a short
description will appear when you move the mouse cursor above a toolbar icon
and wait for a moment.
- Show shortcut keys in ScreenTips
- If this option is enabled, the ScreenTips will contain the shortcut for the
specific command besides the short description of the command.
- Large Icons
- If this option is enabled all toolbar icons will be displayed in double size.