Help
gxa
2010-04-09
2013-05-29
  • gxa
    gxa
    2010-04-09

Hello,

First I would like to thanks for the new version 1.4.
    I just updated from the previous version and the spell check does not work anymore.
    In Preferences I have the following related settings:
    General -> Editors -> Text Editors -> Spelling: Enable checked and selected engine is Latex.
    TeXlipse -> Spell Checker: Use built in spell checker checked (the other two as well)
    Directories are set here as well and I have downloaded the english dictionary file. Environment settings is empty though.
    Every time I press Spell Check I got a

running: null
    Error running spell checker

in the console window.
    Any advice on what I miss?

• gxa
    gxa
    2010-04-09

Hello,

I figured out that spell checking indeed works :) Well, at least for newly typed text, and this is why it seemed to be inactive for me since I tried it with a previously completed project. I also figured out that if I make some change in a line then that line is spell checked but is there a way to force checking in the entire file?

• Hi,

just closing and reopening the file should do it :).

Best regards,
    Boris

• gxa
    gxa
    2010-04-10

Indeed it does. Closing and reopening the entire project also does the trick.
    Thanks!

• Anonymous
    2010-05-12

I've tried these solutions but it still doesn't work.

can anyone suggest a troubleshooting walkthrough.
    Ta

• Anonymous
    2010-05-16

Hey,

i have also problems with the spell-checker.
    Here is a part from by eclipse-log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor 4 2 2010-05-16 19:24:40.484
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor".
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.sourceforge.texlipse.spelling.TexSpellingEngine.getSpellChecker(TexSpellingEngine.java:128)
        at net.sourceforge.texlipse.spelling.TexSpellingEngine.check(TexSpellingEngine.java:188)
        at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.spelling.SpellingService$1.run(SpellingService.java:104)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
        at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.spelling.SpellingService.check(SpellingService.java:109)
        at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.spelling.SpellingReconcileStrategy.reconcile(SpellingReconcileStrategy.java:198)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.spelling.JavaSpellingReconcileStrategy.reconcile(JavaSpellingReconcileStrategy.java:126)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.CompositeReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(CompositeReconcilingStrategy.java:86)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.JavaCompositeReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(JavaCompositeReconcilingStrategy.java:102)
        at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.MonoReconciler.process(MonoReconciler.java:77)
        at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.AbstractReconciler$BackgroundThread.run(AbstractReconciler.java:206)

• Anonymous
    2010-05-16

Hi

I back to 1.3.0. because the dictionary no work to me. I will take the version of http://texlipse.sf.net/daily

• joeroe
    joeroe
    2010-05-26

Hi, I have the exact same problem…  settings are as suggested, but on running the spell checker I'm getting
    Reopening the files/project or changing text doesn't help…
    my project is divided into a main file and single files for each chapter, and I'm running eclipse on windows7 64Bit. It'd be great if anybody had more suggestions on what I could try.
    thanks

• Fabian Wein
    Fabian Wein
    2010-06-24

I love the spell checker at my Mac!!

But I'm not able to make it run on Linux. Today I installed Helios (CDT) and get the error

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor 4 2 2010-06-24 11:16:47.731
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor".
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.sourceforge.texlipse.spelling.TexSpellingEngine.getSpellChecker(TexSpellingEngine.java:128)
        at net.sourceforge.texlipse.spelling.TexSpellingEngine.check(TexSpellingEngine.java:188)
        at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.spelling.SpellingService$1.run(SpellingService.java:104)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
        at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.spelling.SpellingService.check(SpellingService.java:109)
        at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.spelling.SpellingReconcileStrategy.reconcile(SpellingReconcileStrategy.java:198)
        at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.spelling.SpellingReconcileStrategy.initialReconcile(SpellingReconcileStrategy.java:169)
        at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.MonoReconciler.initialProcess(MonoReconciler.java:105)
        at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.AbstractReconciler$BackgroundThread.run(AbstractReconciler.java:173)
    j

I hade the same problems with the previous Eclipse.

Ich checked the code lines in question:

/**
         * Returns a SpellChecker that checks the language of the current project
         * @param project
         * @return null, if no dictionary for the current language was found
         */
        private static SpellChecker getSpellChecker(String lang) {
            if (lang.equals(currentLang)) return spellCheck;

It seems the lang is not defined. But I don't know yet how actually set the language for my Eclipse project.

It should be english and my Linux installation is also english.

• Fabian Wein
    Fabian Wein
    2010-06-24

I finally resolved the problem for me.

The texlipse project was actually from an old version with a .texlipse file and empty spellLang entry.

I created a new project, and NOW I could enter my language code (en).

I suggest to make TexSpellingEngine.getSpellChecker(TexSpellingEngine.java:128 more robust.

• Daniel
    Daniel
    2010-08-12

Hi,
    I have the same problem, whenever I run the spell checker I get:

All the suggested solutions/workarounds dont help (Reopening the files/project or changing text, checking .texlipse)
    I have only a single .tex file, I'm running Eclipse with Texlipse 1.4.0 on Windows7 64Bit. Eclipse is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\eclipse" , the dicts in ..\dicts.  I run eclipse as Admin.

Would be nice if someone could help.

• nimrod milo
    nimrod milo
    2010-08-19

I have the same problem on Ubuntu, I see that even if i set the spell checker to use the built in spell checker it runs
    the aspell command and I get no suggestions in the quick fix popup.

Any solutions ? or ideas ?

• Arin Soyen
    Arin Soyen
    2010-11-16

Hello, I have texlipse 1.4.1 and Eclipse 3.6. I have the correct settings to run the default spell checker but it is not running. Using Eclipse 3.5 with this version of texlipse works fine for the spell checking.

• I am having the same problem. Did you find a solution for it?

Thanks!

• Never mind. I just had to set the language on project properties, close, and re-open the file. Then it started working again.

Thanks!

• Anonymous
    2011-12-26

I have the same problem:

whenever I try to get something spell checked. I'm using
    Eclipse Version: Indigo Service Release 1
    Build id: 20110916-0149
    Windows 7 64bit
    TeXlipse 1.5.0

I put the dictionary in the right folder, set the language in the project etc. Maybe the spell checker could give more informative error messages?

• I'm running Eclipse Juno with the Hunspell4Eclipse plugin. I got the dictionaries from http://wordlist.sourceforge.net, but I get the error: