Spell Checking US only

Help
2011-09-29
2013-05-29
  • Hi,

I tried setting up spell checking according to the page in the manual and everything seems to work fine. It appears though that both british and american words are accepted, is there any way to choose only one of them?

Thanks,
    Gregers

• Pål
    Pål
    2011-10-02

Hi

Which of the spell checkers are you using, the built spell checker? or the obsolete Aspell?
    If you are using the built in spell checker, you have to supply the dictionaries, so you can choose to only have a British dictionary or any other dictionary you like.
    I myself have converted an Aspell dictionary for Norwegian such that I could use it with my Latex code.

Hope this helps

Pål

• I use the built in spell checker and downloaded the dictionary from the texlipse homepage, which apparently contain both US and UK words. As you pointed out it is however possible to generate a custom dictionary with Aspell. It took me quite some time to figure out how to extract US only words, so for anyone with the same problem you can achieve it with the command:

aspell --master=en_US dump master | aspell --lang=en expand | tr ' ' '\n' > en.dict

Best regards,
    Gregers

• Sven Köhler
    Sven Köhler
    2013-03-21

This needs a proper fix! First of all, I might want to have both en_US and en_GB documents (as well as de_DE and de_CH).
    Second, the dictionaries supplied by the Texlipse authors (https://sourceforge.net/projects/texlipse/files/dictionaries/) are obviously broken in the sense that they mix the different "substyles" of the languages.

• Sven Köhler
    Sven Köhler
    2013-03-21

BTW: also I wouldn't call the aspell spell checker obsolete. It's sitll the far better alternative, if only I could specify the full language (i.e. en_US instead of en).

• Sven Köhler
    Sven Köhler
    2013-03-22

Did some more research. My aspell installation support lots and lots of different spelling styles for the english language along:

1) You can chose between en_GB, en_US, en_CA, and en, where en seems to be the union of the former three.
    2) For en_GB you can chose between the -ize and the -ise variant ("optimize" vs. "optimise")
    3) Also, you can chose between accents and no accents ("café" vs. "cafe")

The complete list is:

en_US-wo_accents
      en_US-w_accents
      en_GB-ise-wo_accents
      en_GB-ise-w_accents
      en_GB-ize-wo_accents
      en_GB-ize-w_accents
      en_CA-wo_accents
      en_CA-w_accents
      en-wo_accents
      en-w_accents

And all that texlipse allows me to specify in the project settings is a two letter language code. Shame on you!
    I have generated a en_GB-ize-wo_accents dictionary to suite my needs:

aspell --encoding=UTF-8 --lang=en_GB-ize-wo_accents dump master >en.dict