Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Question about French poetry/song tagging

Help
Michelle
2013-01-19
2013-03-13
  • Michelle
    Michelle
    2013-01-19

Hi,

I'm starting work on some TEI encoding of the words to some 16th-century French songs (which I'm mostly really treating more like poems).  The project director has decided that I should encode mute Es in these texts, for which I intend to use <c type="mute">e</c>.  Mostly, we think the users of our project will be interested in noting (fairly rare) mute Es in the "inside" parts of lines of verse, but I'm not sure whether I should also tag mute Es that also more frequently occur at the *ends* of lines of verse.  (In French poetry, if a line of verse ends with a word ending in e, the last consonant and e don't get counted as a separate syllable the way they do if they occur elsewhere in the line.)  These line-final Es get a special name in French poetry (rime feminine), and I wonder if I should go ahead and encode them with the <c> tag as mute, or if I should come up with a different tag for them, or not tag them at all.

I realize this is partly a question of usership (will our users understand that it's a given that Es at the end of the line of French poetry are always mute?  Or, if we left these tags out at the ends of lines, would that be inconsistent?  Another possibility, if we did tag Es at the ends of lines as mute, would we be confusing users since these words are actually songs and in that musical context, these syllables, I believe, would have been pronounced and sung?)  While I can't expect forum participants to sort that part out for me, I wonder if anyone can elucidate the <c> tag for me: if I use it, do I need to use it systematically for *every* E character that is mute, or can I be more flexible with it if I signal that in the header? 

Also, does anyone know of any TEI projects that encode French poetry and do any encoding of syllable counts or mute Es or anything like that?

Many thanks for your help,
    Michelle