Wacom Penabled TabletPC

Help
2007-05-25
2013-05-30
  • Using v2.0b010 with Port set to automatic it finds a tablet (ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)).  However the tablet functionality does not work at all.  When using the Testing tab I don't get any comms stats.

Do I need to do anything special to get this working (ie. install addtional software etc.) ?

I using OS X 10.4.8 on a Fujitsu T4210 Tablet PC.

• Scott Lahteine
      Scott Lahteine
      2007-05-26

Yes, in order for your computer's digitizer to be recognized you have to edit a system file. The InsanelyMac forums (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43948) have become the de-facto place for discussing TabletPC support, though I admit lately I haven't had time to spend there. From discussions there we've come up with the following procedure for activating your digitizer in Mac OS X.

(1a) Boot your TabletPC in Windows. Go into Windows Device Manager and locate your digitizer's driver. Now select the "Details" tab. You will see a 7 or 8 character string before the slash, usually 3 letters followed by 4 numbers or hexadecimal digits. Something like "WACF004" or "FUJ02E5."

or

(1b) Boot up Mac OS X. Open the Terminal program and type...

ioreg -lx | grep -C8 -E "DIGI|WAC|FUJ"

...followed by enter. Among the output you should find one or more blocks like this:

| |  
          | +-o DIGI  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>
          | | | {
          | | |   "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=0x220,"length"=0x8}))
          | | |   "compatible" = <"ACPI\WACF004">
          | | |   "name" = <"FUJ02E5">
          | | |   "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
          | | |   "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0400000000000000>)
          | | |   "_STA" = 0xf
          | | | }
          | | |

The value we care about is the name "FUJ02E5" that identifies the digitizer to the system. We're going to use this value to hack a system file and make Mac OS X recognize the digitizer.

(2) Edit the file "/System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist" using a text editor or Property List Editor. Find the key named "!IONameMatch." Change the value "PNP0501" to the name value from the previous step.

Some of the known name values include:

FUJ02E5: Fujitsu T Series
      WACF006: HP TC4200
      WACF004: Lenovo X60T, HP TC4400, Toshiba M400
      WACF008: Lenovo X60 (unknown letter)
      FPI2004: Finepoint (a different protocol)

(3) Clear your system caches by deleting the files /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and rebooting the computer. Your tablet's serial port should now be visible to Mac OS X.

• Scott Lahteine
      Scott Lahteine
      2008-03-25

(ioreg -l may work better, if ioreg -lx doesn't provide a match.) But at this point, just download the Enable TabletPC Digitizer terminal command and save yourself the work: http://thinkyhead.com/pub/digify.zip