Extract only gives on file

Help
2008-06-15
2013-05-02
  • When trying to extract under Windows, I only get a single file "TheAddressBookReloaded-3.3-stable-590" which has all the content but there seems to be no way to extract the files. How was it compressed? winrar and winzip both fail.

Thanks,
    Tom

• Tobias
      Tobias
      2008-11-10

TAB is shipped as a tar.gz archive. You can extract it under windows with a tool like 7zip. Apparently WinRAR and WinZip don't handle tars (although I thought so).

Regards,
      Tobias

• katzlbt
      katzlbt
      2008-11-12

Try to rename the partially extracted file to TheAddressBookReloaded-3.3-stable-590.tar and run winzip again on it. Maybe that helps.

• I had a heck of a time extracting it with 7zip. I ended up downloading the package to the desktop, and right clicking it, then selecting 7zip, open archive, and then click on the archive directory, and select open inside. I then selected all the files, click on move, and then typed in the directory I wanted to move them to. It's actually a lot easier to extract them on a Linux or Unix server.

• katzlbt
      katzlbt
      2009-02-23

Right on Linux use:
      wget -download-url-
      tar -vxzf -downloaded-file-

About 1 in 50 Windoze machines has a copy of rar/winzip that does not unpack .tar.gz files correctly. 7zip and izarc can help and they are FREE!