Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

my idea to improve multi monitors

Anonymous
2011-12-11
2013-04-29

• Anonymous
    2011-12-11

a lot of great inventions come from people just filling a need. I have a need that I think would be a great invention to add to synergy. I've seen people describe synergy as a cross between vnc and a kvm switch. this idea kinda adds more vnc to the mix.

my current setup is 2 computers, one linux and one windows. each computer has dual monitors. sometimes when I'm doing some programming on windows, I find myself really wanting a third screen to put up some code or document or something to look off while I do my work on the other 2 windows screens. usually, what I want to put up on the 3rd screen is something that can only be done on windows, so my 2 linux screens go to waste. the easiest solution for me is to grab my windows laptop and use that as a 5th screen. now it's getting out of hand. I can only fit 3 screens on my desk as it is. vnc somehow has the answer.

here's my idea. it's a bit complicated to implement, so it probably wont be seen for a long time, if ever, but it would be an amazing piece of software. start with some kind of virtual screen driver. something that will add a virtual monitor to the system without actual hardware, but instead outputs only to a vnc server of sorts. the opposite system then connects to and displays that vnc server. it multiplies the number of screens you can have on your system, kinda like what a real kvm switch would do. if you have 2 screens and 2 systems, one screen on each, you could use hot keys to switch between dual monitors on each system without a kvm switch. with my current setup, I could turn my main linux screen into a 3rd windows screen, or the other way around. go from 4 to 6 or 8 screens without more monitors.

is there some way to possibly set this up manually? it would need some kind of vnc server that acts like a virtual video driver. they have something like this in virtualization servers already. I can vnc into the virtual systems running on my server, and they have a virtual display driver. on one of my virtual systems, the driver is called Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter. could I add something like that driver to a system that's not virtual and doesn't have a host os to talk to. thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts.

• Anonymous
    2011-12-11

found the solution to my idea already, and it works pretty well. moving windows around is a bit laggy. a faster system might help, but aside from that and some guesswork setting it up, I love it. if you're using an os supported my zonescreen, you should give this a try. it's almost as awesome as synergy!

http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm