Stxxl Basic Using Question (VC++ 8.0)

2007-06-30
2013-04-25
  • Hello Roman,

I am a student writing a project about external memory compression and thinking of using Stxxl. I'v been digging on how to set it up for days but still got some problems. I really cannot find much information about it.

I have successfully built the Stxxl project in VC++ 8.0 I believe (libstxxl.lib was created).

My problem is how can I use the library 'libstxxl.lib' for my exist project? I even got no idea how to run the test programs provided.

e.g. I created a separate project for the test program 'test_vector.cpp'. But when I tried to build the project it just simply report an error "Cannot open include file: 'stxxl'". I also tried to change the include statement to "#include <stxxl/containers/vector.h>" then the error becomes "Cannot open include file: 'sys/time.h'" (am I trying to rebuild the library?).

Hope you dont mind such basic questions. The installation guide is too brief (maybe just for me). However, a more detailed guide will be definitely a great help for beginners.

Best Regards,
    jay

• Hi Jay,

Did you add the paths to Stxxl include and lib files for your project as described in <http://algo2.iti.uni-karlsruhe.de/dementiev/stxxl/doxy/html/installation_msvc.html> ?
      Then the libstxxl.lib and the stxxl headers paths will be included into your MSVC project.

also see the test WinGUI application in stxxl/test/WinGUI directory

The correct way to include stxxl is (for versions 1.0x):

#include <stxxl.h>

or

#include <stxxl>

Roman

• Thank you for your quick respond! Really appreciate it.

I need to add the parameters from 'compiler.options' and 'linker.options' (I thought it was optional. Actually when Stxxl project was successfully built VC++ 8.0 prompt the same parameters to be used in other projects.)

I can now build the test programs but still some problem to run them.

When running the test programs it prompts: Error in config::config No disks found in './.stxxl' .

I have created a disk file 'stxxl' (3000 Mb) under disk D used the provided tool 'createdisks.exe'. My config file called '.stxxl' and the option is "disk=d:\stxxl,3000,wincall" without quote.

BTW, can you show me how to set the enviroment variable STXXLCFG so that I can use other config file name other than '.stxxl'. Because file names begin with '.' is not allowed by Windows (although we can force it to create them), I doubt if the name '.stxxl' is valid in WinXP.

Regards, JAY

• Hi,

.stxxl file works perfectly on my winXP system with NTFS (may be there might be problems with FAT32)

regarding environment variables try to use google:
        <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=environment+variable+windows&spell=1>

or just type in command line:

set STXXLCFG=full_path_to_your_stxxl_config <enter>
        your_application_executable <enter>

• OK. Finally make it work:)

In the config file ".stxxl" I put a space before "disk=d:\stxxl,3000,wincall" and that's it. Dont know why but it just work.

Thanks a lot for all the helps.

Regards, JAY