Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

how to for noob

Help
Greg R
2010-10-22
2013-04-24
  • Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-22

Clicking on jar file I get java web start error "unable to launch application".
    Are there basic instructions how to interface this w/ streamripper?
    I've got XP sp3 win32 & java 1.6.0_21

• 2010-10-22

P.s: the 3. step is optional. You don't need this program (gstreamer)

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-22

Thank you for your assistance with this.

I already had everything installed except gstreamer and the latest 6.0_22 version of Java.

I downloaded your links and installed everything again.
    I clicked the jar file - StreamRipStar0.5.12.jar -  before installing step 3 and after step 3, and after rebooting windows.

I'm clicking on the Jar file downloaded from your link.  It is on my desktop.
    Streamripper is installed with all options in my programs folder.

Each time I get the same response:
    "Java Loading" then the error response "Java Web Start Invalid Argument Error" "Unable to Launch Specified Application"

error details
    details
    exception
    CouldNotLoadArgumentException
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

wrapped exception
    java.io.IOException: File too large
    at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

I probably have some other windows related issue.

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-22

BTW, what does gstreamer do?

• 2010-10-23

gstreamer is for the intern audiosupport. At the moment you need an extern audio player to hear the streams (for example: Winamp or Windows Media Player). With gstreamer installed, you can hear the stream in the program.

To your problem: Java has 2 ways to start applications. You can start Java-Applets from the internet and you can start applications, which are on your Computer. The java application from the net has very low permissions on your computer. And your system, it seems your are trying to start a local application with the java for the internet.

You can try to open the .jar file with the other java by doing:
    right click on the jar -> "open with…" -> and there you look for the "Java(TM) Platform SE binary". If you can't see it there you can select it manuell by clicking on "browse" -> go the where you have java installed and there in the /bin directory -> and select "javaw.exe" -> open it, and press ok.

After this, StreamRipStar should start. I don't have a english version of Windows here, so the steps my variate or have other translations. I hope you know what I mean.

btw: if you have this problem with other java applications.
    the "javaw.exe" is for starting the local stored applications
    the "javawc.exe" is for starting the java-applets from the internet

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-23

Success.

Thank you so much for your help !!!

This program is excellent.  Great interface.   Just what I was looking for to schedule recordings.

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-24

May I ask your assistance again?

After I checked the box "Use internal check box" in preferences, Streamripstar then automatically found gstreamer (in the Programs files > OSSBuild folder)  and played the stream.

But now I get the error response:
    "It seems you don't have Gstreamer installed Please install the latest Gstreamer or use an external player to listen to the stream".

I've tried restarting Streamripstar, checking and unchecking that box.

Also tried with preferences > programs > path to mp3 player blank and also filled in pointing to winamp.exe

• 2010-10-25

Oh. "Use internal check box" is a spelling mistake (use internal audio player). I should release a new version to fix some other issues too.

Do I have this right? You started the program and can listen do a stream, but after restarting StreamRipStar, you get this error message?

Can you please start SRS with the command window (cmd) and post the output? I hope there is a better error message.

You say, you already tried to point to winamp.exe. Is it possible that you have forgotten to uncheck the "Use internal" check box?
    And have you already tried to reinstall gstreamer? I had similar errors with gstreamer under Windows and solved it with a reinstall. Anyway, the winamp thing should work independently.

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-25

Hi.
    It plays through winamp fine, when I point to winamp.exe in the program file directory.  I just left this blank for testing purposes to default to gstreamer.  Whether the program file directory path is blank or not, I still get that error
    "It seems you don't have Gstreamer installed Please install the latest Gstreamer or use an external player to listen to the stream"
    This is with the use internal player box checked.
    There is no problem starting up Streamripstar.  Everything functions ok, I can record the stream, but when I click on Play stream, or right click and select 'listen to stream', or play stream from the stream browser, it gives me the error response that I don't have gstreamer installed.
    I used the links you provided in this post, downloaded gstreamer again, uninstalled and reinstalled the gstreamer msi.

Is there some file in the gstreamer directory I can point to in the preferences directory for mp3 player?

• 2010-10-27

Hm. You can't give SRS a hint where to find gstreamer. gstreamer is an external program, which registers a systemvariable under windows. You can look, if this variable exist and point to the correct path. Have a look at this link:

http://www.openframeworks.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24230

You can find it in the windows XP Settings->Envronment->Environment Variables.
    The variable is called: "GST_PLUGIN_PATH" and points to an under-directory of the gstreamer installation directory. On my system it's :"OSSBuild\GStreamer\v0.10.6\lib\gstreamer-0.10"

And please post the messages, when you go in windows on -> start -> execute -> and fill in

gst-launch-0.10 audiotestsrc ! autoaudiosink

or if this doesn't work try

gst-launch audiotestsrc ! autoaudiosink

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-27

Thanks for your help.
    Environment variables list the "GST_PLUGIN_PATH"  and points to
    C:\Program Files\OSSBuild\GStreamer\v0.10.6\lib\gstreamer-0.10

The first start>run command does nothing, but the 2nd one
    gst-launch audiotestsrc ! autoaudiosink

opens a dos box with a continuous tone and the response
    Setting pipeline to PAUSED …
    Pipeline is PREROLLING …
    Pipeline is PREROLLED …
    Setting pipeline to PLAYING …
    New clock: GstAudioSinkClock

I'm still get the same response trying to use Gstreamer within StreamRipStar
    "It seems you don't have Gstreamer installed Please install the latest Gstreamer or use an external player to listen to the stream".

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-27

Window title bar was
    C:\Program Files\OSSBuild\GStreamer\v0.10.6\bin\gst-launch.exe

Setting pipeline to PAUSED …
    Pipeline is PREROLLING …
    Pipeline is PREROLLED …
    Setting pipeline to PLAYING …
    New clock: GstAudioSinkClock

• 2010-10-28

Hm. its strange…

Can you look for another variable in win? The variable is called "OSSBUILD_GSTREAMER_DIR" and should point to

C:\Program Files\OSSBuild\GStreamer\v0.10.6\

on your system.

And can use the commandline? I need the output messages from the command line. Its not comfortable, but I have no other ideas, anymore. Please replace the path with yours on your system.

PATH_TO_JAVAC.exe -jar PATH_TO_STREAMRIPSTAR.jar

On my system it looks like this. StreamRipStar.jar is on my desktop

C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe -jar "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Schmoffel\Desktop\streamripstar0.5.12.jar"

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-28

I do have that variable  "OSSBUILD_GSTREAMER_DIR"  and it does point to
    C:\Program Files\OSSBuild\GStreamer\v0.10.6\

I noticed in my program files JAVA directory I have in addtition to the jre6 folder, an additional folder "jre.1.5.0_06"
    the java.exe file in the jre6 bin folder is dated 9/15/2010, where the java.exe in the jre 1.5.0_06 is dated 11/10/2005.
    I doubt this is causing the Streamripstar response that gstreamer is not installed, but thought I would mention it.  I think an application that I use, actually uses the older java version, but maybe it is not necessary.

Using the commandline for path to java.exe -jar, the response is:

C:\Program Files>java\jre6\bin\java.exe -jar
    Usage: java  class
               (to execute a class)
       or  java  -jar jarfile
               (to execute a jar file)

where options include:
        -client       to select the "client" VM
        -server       to select the "server" VM
        -hotspot      is a synonym for the "client" VM 
                      The default VM is client.

-cp <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
        -classpath <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
                      A ; separated list of directories, JAR archives,
                      and ZIP archives to search for class files.
        -D<name>=<value>
                      set a system property
        -verbose
                      enable verbose output
        -version      print product version and exit
        -version:<value>
                      require the specified version to run
        -showversion  print product version and continue
        -jre-restrict-search | -jre-no-restrict-search
                      include/exclude user private JREs in the version search
        -? -help      print this help message
        -X            print help on non-standard options
        -ea
        -enableassertions
                      enable assertions
        -da
        -disableassertions
                      disable assertions
        -esa | -enablesystemassertions
                      enable system assertions
        -dsa | -disablesystemassertions
                      disable system assertions
        -agentlib:<libname>
                      load native agent library <libname>, e.g. -agentlib:hprof
                        see also, -agentlib:jdwp=help and -agentlib:hprof=help
        -agentpath:<pathname>
                      load native agent library by full pathname
        -javaagent:<jarpath>
                      load Java programming language agent, see java.lang.instrument

-splash:<imagepath>
                      show splash screen with specified image

using commandline for path to streamripstar.jar  (I placed it in my streamripper directory)
    program files\streamripper\streamripstar0.5.12.jar

the result is that it opens the application  StreamRipStar and I am able to play the stream (listen to it) using the internal gstreamer (the path to mp3 player in preferences is blank)

But when I double click on the streamripstar.jar file itself, and then try to listen to the stream, I get the error that gstreamer is not installed  !?!

• Greg R
    Greg R
    2010-10-28

OK, I dragged the streamripstar.jar file out of the streamripper folder and onto the desktop and it finds gstreamer when I play the stream.

I created its own folder in my program files directory and place it there, and it works fine.

I guess it didn't like when I put it in the streamripper directory, or its path got mixed up somehow.

Sorry for the bother, and thanks again for your help !!!

• 2010-10-28

Hey, thanks for this hint. I plan to release a version of StreamRipStar0.6  with all required programs (streamripper and gstreamer). On my system this fails, too. So I will avoid this constellation.

Thanks again.